#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On 3/12/15 3:07 PM, michael yates via Marxism wrote:

I read professor Levine's comments with interest. However, what he says is very
old news. I began teaching in 1969, and it was clear to me that the Faculty
Senate was an impotent organization. We began efforts to unionize in 1972 and
over the next few years, we lost four times. We came close the first time, with
a good and militant union, but we could not overcome the university's money and
gross violations of the law. In addition, a good many senior professors at the
central campus in Pittsburgh were in league with the administration and helped
win many no union votes from their elitist colleagues. Now more than 40 years
later, Levine laments that the Chancellor has overlooked the Faculty Senate! Is
he joking? No doubt he is a good man. But the reality of the US university
system is that it is beyond repair. The only real hope is that the adjuncts
will somehow force the issue and show their power to stop what is going on.
Older teachers are great at writing letters. But le
tt
  ers won't ever get the job done.

Not that this is particularly relevant to Michael's comment but Bruce wrote me an angry email about 15 years ago when I mentioned on Marxmail that he was known to SWP'ers in the early 70s as Bruce Landau--the head of small state cap group that had "fused" with the SWP. He thought that this might lead to him getting victimized as a commie when he already had tenure and was apparently unaware that Marxist academics haven't been fired since the 1950s except for the rare incident involving someone really sticking their neck out. As far as I was concerned, Levine had become the sort of person unlikely to stick his neck out.