#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Joseph Catron said:

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 8:26 PM, Ken Hiebert via Marxism <
marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:

According to the BuzzFeed article "A Russian bank gave France’s Front
> National — whose leader, Marine le Pen, is an open admirer of Putin’s — an
> $11.7 million loan last year." Does Roger believe this is true? False?
> If he believes it is true, how does he think we should react?

What's the claim to which we should react? Of course the NF, by all
accounts, received a loan from the First Czech Russian Bank. What's the
significance, other than the business decisions, and possible political
sympathies, of a small, privately-held enterprise?

I'm aware that many confused leftists can discern the ghastly hand of Putin
at work in pretty much any events in, near, or at times far from Russia. I
treat such people like any other conspiracy theorists: harmless crackpots
who are best ignored.

Ken Hiebert replies:
Thank you for a clear and unambiguous answer.
While the bank, in addition to business considerations, may have had a
political motive in making the loan, it was a decision made by a small,
privately-held enterprise and did not involve Putin.  You could be right.  In
any case, with the passage of time, we will learn the truth.
I won't be surprised if we learn that Putin was, in fact involved.  But we can
wait to find out.
Looking at it as a business decision, I wonder how often a bank in one country
lends money to a political party in another country?  What kind of collateral
would they demand?  How would they estimate the future earnings of a political
party?