#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

https://therussianreader.wordpress.com/2015/03/29/kozhnev-ituwa-interview/

“Anyone who tries to defend their rights is a fifth columnist and agent of
the State Department”
A trade union leader talks about pressure from the security forces and
badgering from the National Liberation Movement
Darina Shevchenko
March 24, 2015
Yodnews.ru

The automotive industry has been laying off employees around the country.
Since the beginning of the year, the demand for cars has fallen 20-30%.
Management has forced workers to quit, shift to part-time work or agree to
significant pay cuts. The Interregional Trade Union Workers Association
(ITUWA) has countered with strikes and pickets. Center “E” (Center for
Extremism Prevention) has responded by taking measures against union
members. Last weekend, Center “E” officers detained members of the ITUWA
Kaluga local. They demanded that the activists confess to working for
western secret services and acting to destabilize the situation in Russia.
Dmitry Kozhnev, leader of the ITUWA Kaluga local, told Yod that the trade
union has long had a difficult relationship with the local security forces,
and more recently, members of the National Liberation Movement (NOD) have
targeted workers for persecution.

The ITUWA was founded in 2006 by members of trade union organizations from
the Ford plant in the Petersburg suburb of Vsevolozhsk and the AvtoVAZ
plant in Togliatti.*** The trade union unites workers from more than
fifteen companies. Its chair, Alexei Etmanov, was elected to the
legislative assembly of Leningrad Region in 2011. The ITUWA’s motto is
“Don’t cry, organize!”

On what grounds were trade union members taken in by Center “E” over the
weekend?

Under the pretext that a robber who had hit a passerby with a bottle and
stolen something had dashed into the room where we had gathered for a
routine meeting. About forty security forces officers arrived. They
detained fifteen of us, took us to a police station, and asked us about our
activities, what protests we were planning. They told us that, under the
guise of defending workers’ rights, we were spying for the US,
destabilizing the regime, and engaging in provocations. We hear this song
from Center “E” constantly. Apparently, law enforcement officers find it
difficult to believe that an organization can be independent and act on its
own.

Have Center “E” and the FSB showed interest in your activity before?

Our union emerged in 2008. During this time we have become stronger and our
actions have gotten results. In [2012], a strike at the Benteler Automotive
plant led to the workers signing a collective agreement that we drafted. We
got the bonus included in the salary and a ban on duties other than those
stipulated in the contract. At the Volkswagen plant we forced management to
increase salaries by almost four times, from seven to thirty thousand
rubles a month.

Dmitry Kozhnev (left) on the picket line during the 2012 strike at Benteler
Automotive. Photo courtesy of Russian Reporter

In the summer of 2013, Volkswagen management was changing equipment. They
wanted to let the workers go for a week, and then have them work off the
missed days on weekends. By law, management has a right to do this, but
plant workers opposed it. They were furious at the prospect of working
weekends in the summer, when every day off is worth its weight in gold. We
told management they should pay the missed week as down time, while the
workers would go to work voluntarily and at double the pay. Management
stood their ground, and then we began to prepare for a strike. By the way,
according to Russian law, it is almost impossible to strike. Management
must be notified seven days in advance. During this time, management can
succeed in appealing the strike in court and then the strike cannot start
on time. So we start the strike and notify management simultaneously. That
is what we did back then at Volkswagen. We also picketed dealerships and
informed consumers that we could not vouch for the quality of the cars
assembled during the strike. We got what wanted.

Now our trade union has influence at different plants and can exercise
control over the situation. After the number of union members went over
four hundred at Volkswagen in 2009, and we began doing street protests,
Center “E” got on our case.

And as soon as relations between workers and management would heat up,
Center “E” would show up and put pressure on us, including arrests,
harassment, and surveillance. But pressure and persecution have only
strengthened the organization.

Give an example of persecution by Center “E”.

As soon as our work started to produce results, we began getting summons to
Center “E” and were threatened with criminal prosecution. Once they blocked
my car on the street and took me down to the station. They tried to catch
several comrades with allegedly faked sick leave forms, threaten to take
them to court, and force them to inform on trade union leaders. One worker
and trade union member had a weapon planted on him. He got into a car with
security officials. They handed him a bundle, said it contained a gun used
to commit a crime, and now he would either rat on his colleagues or be
convicted for the crime. The comrade refused to be an informant and took
the story public big time, and they left him alone. Another comrade of ours
was press-ganged into the army. Because of a serious leg injury, the guy
had been declared unfit for military service. During a routine medical exam
at the draft board, he was suddenly declared healthy. He insisted on an
independent medical examination. The guy was then abducted on the street
and sent to the army. He served his term, and came back angry and able to
use weapons. And he is working in the trade union again. The ranks of our
trade union’s foes continue to swell. Recently, the National Liberation
Movement (NOD) joined them.

How come? You don’t participate in opposition rallies, do you?

NOD considers us Banderites because anarchists carrying flags with
anarchist symbols attend our rallies. They think that since the Banderites
have black-and-red flags, and anarchists use the same colors, they are in
cahoots. It is ridiculous, of course. It is useless to ask the NODites
questions; it is better not to talk with these cartoon characters. Anatoly
Artamonov, governor of Kaluga Region, has also called us agents of the
West. And this is a guy who has built his region’s economy on cooperation
with companies from NATO countries and has awards from NATO countries! This
is the trend now. Anyone who defends their rights is a fifth columnist and
agent of the State Department.

The security forces’ interest in you has to do with the crisis in the
automotive industry and presumed activism on the part of trade unions. At
what plants is the situation the most tense?

It is easier to say which plants have no problems: the plants that produce
luxury-class cars. They are the only ones where everything is all right.
All the other plants are undergoing layoffs, which are hidden for the time
being. Workers are being persuaded to quit voluntarily, to accept part-time
schedules and pay cuts. But I think the crisis will continue, and the
actions of management will become harsher. But we will vigorously defend
the interests of workers.

*** Editor’s Note. The ITUWA was originally known as the Interregional
Trade Union of Autoworkers (ITUA). It changed its name in 2013, although
the union’s well-known abbreviation in Russian (MPRA) has remained the same.

https://therussianreader.wordpress.com/2015/03/29/kozhnev-ituwa-interview/