#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

The Jewish Voice for Peace Attack on Alison Weir: JVP Loses Its Balance

Feel free to forward this widely. Contact me if you would like to publish
some or all of it.

A personal note: I did not intend on sending this or discussing this any
further. But, for the last three years, I have been pushed and pushed to
speak about Alison Weir, not out of support for her politics, but out of
alienation by those who have attacked her.

Below is a consolidated version of some of the things I have written to
associates on organizing lists about the recent statement by JVP to malign
Alison Weir, which was mass-mailed to various chapters and list-servs. I
did not intend to write anything further, but I have had ten people contact
me to tell me to spread this further in 24 hours.

These comments are NOT made out of support for If Americans Knew NOR out of
opposition to Jewish Voice for Peace. These comments should NOT be read as
a defense of any unnamed persons who have separately been accused of
anti-Semitism, nor should they be interpreted to suggest that anti-Semitism
is not a problem or that it does not exist.

These comments are ENTIRELY PERSONAL and do not constitute endorsement from
ANY organization with which I have worked or currently work with, and do
not necessarily imply agreement from any of the individuals mentioned or
cited. They should not appear as an endorsement of any particular
individual or group that shares or circulates them.

These are made for the movement, as a whole, which desperately needs
internal criticism of its increasingly problematic and racist politics.

1) Disclaimer: I do not have any formal or organizational affiliation with
Alison Weir or her organization, If Americans Knew.

2) My personal experience with the smear campaign against Weir.

3) JVP’s entire accusation against Weir is based on guilt by association
and could easily apply to some of the most prominent voices in the movement
for Palestine solidarity, including Noam Chomsky, Edward Said, Dilip Hiro,
Ilan Pappe, Jennifer Loewenstein, Ray McGovern, Joseph Massad, Norman
Finkelstein, Glenn Greenwald, Pete McCloskey, Philip Weiss, Richard Falk,
John Mearsheimer, Lenni Brenner, and Rachel Corrie’s parents.

a. Alison Weir has not endorsed nor agreed with the racist views expressed
by those with whom she has been associated

b. It is unwise to expect Weir or anyone else to completely ignore the
communities that are vulnerable to such racism (see below).

4) Inaccurate and hypocritical accusations of ethnic chauvinism

a. Losing Balance: While JVP alleges that IAK downplays the value of
Palestinian voices, it is JVP which is constructed on seeing Jewish voices
as “particularly legitimate” according to the JVP website.

b. If Americans Knew and Alison Weir have been principled and expansive in
working with Palestinians, Arabs, Muslims, and Palestinian/Arab-Americans,
including the Al-Awda Right to Return Coalition and the Beit Sahour-based
International Middle East Media Center; both organizations are run and
staffed by Palestinians and Palestinian-Americans. The organization has
publicly and explicitly supported the full Palestinian-led call for BDS
since at least 2006.

c. JVP has not been principled in working with Palestinians, Arabs,
Muslims, and Palestinian/Arab-Americans, barring its chapters from working
with groups of any ethnicity that take overtly anti-Zionist slogans and
politically vetting those Middle Easterners and Muslims with whom they
work. It also took JVP ten years to endorse the full BDS call.

d. JVP ‘s statement appears to suggest that Jews alone can define
anti-Semitism, despite knowing that such accusations can implicate racism
and violence against Arab, Muslim, and Palestinian communities. This is a
form of ethnic chauvinism.

e. JVP’s statement suggests that all Jews are somehow personally or
familially connected to Israel, a restatement of Zionism

f. JVP’s statement suggests that American imperialism and warfare benefits
Americans as a whole, undermining the American anti-war movement and
contradicting prior stances that JVP has taken

5) JVP has taken at least 4 different positions on Zionism, implying a lack
of any principle regarding racism and colonialism against Palestine in
particular and the Middle East as a whole.

a. Open-Ended: JVP’s guidelines state a refusal to state their beliefs in
terms of the word “Zionism”

b. Restricted: JVP’s guidelines state that their chapters are banned from
working with organizations that use “anti-Zionist demands or slogans”,
presumably including Al-Awda and the International Jewish Anti-Zionist
Network

c. Pro-Zionist: JVP interprets Jews, as a group, to be connected to the
Middle East, which is Zionism (see above).

d. Anti-Zionist when condemning anti-Semitism: JVP has recirculated letters
that explicitly argue that Zionism is a form of racism in the context of
disavowing a British-Israeli author for his apparently anti-Jewish
statements. The statement against this man is included in their statement
against Weir. The implication is that condemning Zionism as a form of
racism is acceptable, provided the condemnation is made while disavowing
someone for anti-Semitism.

e. JVP’s statements imply a lack of principled positions regarding racism
against Palestinians, Arabs, and Muslims, while taking a staunch position
against perceived racism toward the Jewish community. This is a racist
double-standard.

6) Racism, Colonialism, and Identity Politics

a. Optics & the White Gaze: JVP and IAK are both “identitarian” groups that
have sought to navigate the maze of racism in the United States.

b. The racist and colonial roots of anti-Semitism allegations against
Palestine solidarity organizers per se.

c. While neither group has navigated perfectly, JVP’s position in
particular is highly problematic and warrants serious criticism.

7) JVP has taken an inconsistent position on engagement with “the Right” and
those who are in danger of being misled and exploited by xenophobic,
right-wing racism.

a. My personal experiences with right-wing racism as a person of color and
the son of immigrants.

b. The roots of “the right” and the dangers of ignoring their misguided
flock.

c. JVP has not opposed engagement with right-wing elements of the Jewish or
Israeli communities.

8) Other Resources that I consider informative.

a. Noam Chomsky on accusations of anti-Semitism within left-wing and
anti-racist movements.

b. Joseph Massad: “Sartre, European Intellectuals, and Zionism”

c. Philip Weiss: “Conservatives for Palestine”

d. Norman Finkelstein on ADL anti-Semitism survey and what qualifies as
anti-Semitism

e. Louis Proyect: “The Anti-Semitism Canard”

f. Lenni Brenner, “The Demographics of American Jews”

g. Jacobin Magazine: Checkered History of Palestine and the Left

9) Addendum: Spencer Sunshine’s PRA attack on Alison Weir and “Campus
Anti-Semitism”

a. The original report

b. The attack on Weir

I) Disclaimer

I have no association with Alison Weir outside of meeting her a few times
at activist summits/conferences. I recommended her website to others in the
early 2000s when If Americans Knew and electronicintifada were the only
pro-Palestinian news sources I knew of, and when I was in college I
constructed a banner with the website on it. The last time I saw her, I
believe it was when she was the keynote speaker at the convention for
Al-Awda, the Right of Return Coalition
<http://www.al-awda.org/convention10/program.html>, which is a large-scale,
broad-based Palestinian anti-Zionist organization
<http://al-awda.org/about/our-aims-and-objectives/points-of-unity/>.

Nonetheless, I find JVP's statement
<https://jewishvoiceforpeace.org/blog/jewish-voice-for-peace-statement-on-our-relationship-with-alison-weir>
highly, highly problematic.

II) The Smear Campaign

I've never seen someone's name dragged through the mud as with her. In the
past, I worked with an organization at the national level. At the time, I
did not know that there was any real controversy regarding how she was
perceived; I had only ever heard one person suggest she was an anti-Semite,
and I assumed it was just a personal difference. I had seen Alison Weir
give a short workshop at the 2012 "Occupy AIPAC!"
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQo2AU2vF4U> summit that was organized by
Code Pink, so I contacted Weir's organization about either giving a
workshop or tabling at a conference with the organization I was working
with. I let the other organizers know, some of them flipped out, claiming
she was an anti-Semite. I asked why they believed so, and they responded by
accusing me of lacking trust (even though I didn't know any of these people
except via internet), and it was a long, drawn out, angry battle from there.

I was never given any actual reason why they believed she was anti-Semitic.
It honestly intimidated me that a people whom I barely knew were willing to
label someone else I barely knew an anti-Semite, without being able to at
least explain why they felt this way. It scared me, because it made me
think that these organizers could have easily made the same accusations
against me, no reasoning necessary. It reminded me of COINTELPRO.

After the episode was resolved, one of the organizers posted a link to the
letter referenced in the JVP statement in which several Palestinians
disavow racism, as if to suggest that those of us who did not agree with
the accusations against Weir were ourselves guilty of racism.

III) Guilt By Association

So it is worth giving JVP credit for at least explaining why they feel that
Alison Weir is bigoted. But I think the reasons they have given are
problematic. JVP points out that Weir gave interviews to a right-wing
extremist, and, in their view, failed to properly challenge racist and
bigoted statements made by the host.

But appearing on someone's radio show, including a bigot's, doesn't exactly
imply an endorsement. Weir also claims that she did express disagreement
when those bigoted ideas were voiced, but in either case, it seems like JVP
is quite openly admitting that the entire claim is based on guilt by
association.

Reading the transcript of her interview with the right-wing extremist, Weir
sounds like she is doing her best answering questions from a person who
does not sound as though he is “all there”. Interrupting this individual
any time he made racist comments would require interrupting him virtually
every other sentence. But that is not a reason to completely avoid this
individual’s listener base, especially as that base is particularly
vulnerable to the sort of racist and violent propaganda that is regularly
pushed by both anti- and pro-Israel segments of the far-right against
Arabs, Muslims, immigrants, and others (see section VII below).

The rest of the accusations are similarly based on association, pointing to
writing and publications rather than radio interviews. With regard to
publications, is it even Weir’s obligation to go around checking what seedy
groups might have exploited her work and then disavow them?

Would JVP suggest that Norman Finkelstein is an anti-Semite, because many
of his earlier works criticizing the exploitation of the Holocaust have
appeared in genocide denial publications?

Would they suggest that Chomsky is some sort of anti-Semite because he has
appeared on all sorts of right-wing media for odd reasons? Would they claim
Noam Chomsky is a racist for "failing to disavow" people who have used his
writing for nefarious purposes
<http://www.chomsky.info/letters/1989----.htm>?

How about Joseph Massad, whose Al Jazeera piece "The Last of the Semites"
has shown up in nasty places?

Weir has separately – and correctly -- pointed out
<http://trk.cp20.com/Tracking/t.c?8cwuv-ockxq-95ez5c4&_v=2> that JVP’s
attacks would also implicate prominent American peace activist Ray
McGovern; Palestine solidarity activist and journalist Jennifer
Loewenstein; Israeli professor and author of “The Ethnic Cleansing of
Palestine,” Ilan Pappe; journalist Dilip Hiro; Edward Said; Noam Chomsky;
and parents of slain ISM activist Cindy and Craig Corrie.

JVP’s statements also appear to implicate award-winning journalist and
publisher of the Snowden leaks Glenn Greenwald
<https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/01/09/solidarity-charlie-hebdo-cartoons/>,
Jewish historian Lenni Brenner
<http://noirg.org/articles/lenni-brenners-letter-to-prof-tony-martin/>,
MondoWeiss blogger Phil Weiss
<http://mondoweiss.net/2012/05/the-left-lacks-an-analysis-of-the-neocon-rise>;
anti-war Congressman Pete McCloskey
<http://markhertsgaard.com/a-dragon-slayer-returns/>; and a slew of others.

IV) “Ethnic Chauvinism”

A) JVP alleges that IAK and Alison Weir have expressed the nationalistic
and chauvinistic view that only "Americans" who aren't ethnically
associated with Israel/Palestine can make meaningful or "objective"
conclusions. It is a strange criticism to hear from a group calling itself
“Jewish Voice for Peace”. But compare the positions the groups have taken:
IAK has been expansive and principled in engaging and working with
Palestinian and Palestinian-American communities -- more so than JVP.

Here is what JVP said in their message about
<https://jewishvoiceforpeace.org/blog/jewish-voice-for-peace-statement-on-our-relationship-with-alison-weir>
Weir:

“For example, in IAK’s “Our Story” on their website it reads:

[Alison Weir] founded an organization to be directed by Americans without
personal or family ties to the region who would research and actively
disseminate accurate information to the American public.

In other words, according to Weir and If Americans Knew, only non-Arab,
non-Muslim, non-Palestinian, and non-Jewish voices can be trusted to speak
the truth, based solely on their ethnic or religious identity.

Notions of objectivity are routinely used to discredit the experiences of
those most directly affected by oppression. But no one is objective, least
of all Americans who benefit from the U.S. government's destructive
interventionist and white supremacist policies around the world [emphasis
added]”

Compare this with what JVP says on its own FAQ page
<https://jewishvoiceforpeace.org/content/jewish-voice-peace-faq>:

“Q: Why are you a Jewish group? Can’t you just be a peace group?

“A: ...

“Because we are Jews, we have a particular legitimacy in voicing an
alternative view of American and Israeli actions and policies. As Jews, we
can make the distinction between real anti-Semitism and the cynical
manipulation of that issue to shield Israel from legitimate criticism.
[emphasis added].

How is founding an organization directed by Americans who aren't tied to
the region any less chauvinistic than suggesting -- and then exploiting --
that Jews have a "particular legitimacy" in speaking out? Contrast that
with JVP Director Rebecca Vilkomerson’s own statements on the matter
<http://interviews.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/21194/what-is-the-role-of-academia-in-political-change_t>
:

“...So we have to be aware of the privileging of Jewish voices, and the
racism and Islamophobia that underlay that privilege. It’s a balancing act
and not an easy one. Its about an awareness of playing into notions of who
is entitled to speak out about Israel and Palestine and making sure we are
not replicating the very systems of privilege there that we are working so
hard to break down, while also being willing to use our voices as Jews to
change and challenge some very deep preconceptions.

In practice, both JVP and IAK are constructed on forms of identity
politics, knowing full well that a thoroughly racist society would view
their organizations with greater "legitimacy" due to their ethnic
identifiers ("Jewish" and "American" respectively). Both groups have used
such identifiers while also attempting to open spaces of dialog and speech
for Arab, Muslim, and Palestinian organizations. How can JVP condemn IAK
for pursuing the same “balancing act” that JVP works to navigate? There’s
one easy answer: JVP has lost its balance.

B) In reality, If Americans Knew has gone even further than JVP in
promoting Palestinian voices and organizations. If Americans Knew has
embraced the Palestinian-led call for Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions as
one of its strategies of "resistance" since at least 2006