#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Actually Lou, that would not be a safe assumption. The geopolitics are
against any motion in Syria. That could only be settled by regional
considerations.
This was my report a month ago,
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/vijay-prashad-on-the-syrian-conflict-
alqaeda-and-isis/article7206649.ece.
Here is the final paragraph:

"In a recent paper, Omar Dahi argues that when the 2011 uprising in Syria
took to the gun, this became ³the main conduit by which Turkey and the
Arab Gulf states ‹ under cover of the exiled Syrian opposition ‹ hijacked
the movement inside Syria.² These outside powers continue to set the pace
for the chaos in the country. In March 2012, the International Crisis
Group warned that the entry of Gulf Arab influence would ³plunge the
nation even deeper into a bloody civil war without prospects for a
resolution in the foreseeable future, and almost certainly trigger
counter-steps by regime allies, thus intensifying the budding proxy war.²
This is precisely what has happened. To believe that greater influence and
military support by Turkey and the Gulf Arab states as well as Iran would
help bring peace in Syria is a cruel creed. The US training of 90 rebel
fighters in Jordan is both ineffective and dangerous ­ most of its
previous fighters have joined up with one or the other al-Qaeda backed
group. The appetite for a political solution is neither visible amongst
the fighters nor amongst their backers. The only power in the region that
seems to want calm ‹ for reasons having to do with the P5+1 nuclear deal ­
is Iran. But trust between Iran and its Arab adversaries are at low ebb.
It will take a great deal more than rhetoric to bring the regional powers
to the table. Trust in the United Nations is also low. Despite the fact
that the former UN envoy to Yemen, Jamal Benomar, was ready to announce a
deal, Saudi Arabia began its bombing runs. Trust in the UN envoy to Syria,
Steffan de Mistura, is at historic lows. Other ways shall have to be
found. The message that Qatar, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and the United States
are unwilling to digest is that the conflict in Syria, as in Yemen,
advantages al-Qaeda and ISIS. That is the cold-hearted reality.²

Omar¹s paper is in the current issue of MERIP.

It is unlikely that a regional solution will result in ³a cleaned up
Baathist entity.² By all accounts, the Baathist grouping is long ago
fragmented, having been reformed into a much more narrow clique over the
past few years. A national unity government will have to include currents
that are far outside Baathism.

Warm regards,
Vijay.