#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Dear Bill Blum,

I just realized, as if it hadn't yet sunk in, that your Anti-Empire Report no longer comes to my inbox each month, that it must continue to be an indispensable resource for us through the coming years and that it should not be allowed to expire.

You are a much-needed institution and reference source. I don't know whether you can find through contacts the resources and the energy to secure continuation of your efforts through successors and a funding source, but someone has to pick up after you. We need that continued documentation as a running reminder and summation in one place that things have not changed and are not changing, except for the worse.

You have been meticulously recording over the years just what it means that the US won WW2, that it emerged from that war as the unchallenged hegemon in the place of Nazi Germany; the ways in which the exercise of that power has from the outset of the postwar period produced conditions in which the numbers of people killed, maimed, deprived of livelihood and impoverished, and left in a state of alienated hopelessness have only worsened. We need this reminder of the horrors all around the globe for which the US is responsible. We only need to review the record you have documented to see that the outcome has not been and at present pace will not be that different from what a German victory would have entailed. Yes, the US has taken care of its own, the few, but so did Nazi Germany.

Every attempt at a political and economic "spring" is as ever being ruthlessly dashed, under US domination. Who these days is even pretending that things are getting better for most of us? Global unemployment and inequality worsen with the expansion of capital into every crevasse. Remaining resources and global sustainability are being senselessly gutted. With the addition of global climate deterioration unimpeded and the threat of cataclysmic war ever-present, the slide into barbarism appears now to be ineluctable, unless collectively we find the means to change this system of profligate accumulation, which serves only the benefit of the few.

I am a veteran of WW2, and I remember the hopes for a better outcome that I and others like me who fought in that war had which have proved so fruitless, as the US continues in endless warfare, surveillance, subversion and torture against its real and imagined enemies all over the world, increasingly and without pause. I see how dimly if at all this is understood by my fellow countrymen.

I thank you for your tireless efforts over the years, sadly under-appreciated by most, and I hope that this irreplaceable documentation somehow continues.

I send every wish for your recovery and better health.

Yours,

Ralph Johansen