#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

At 11:48 05-08-15 -0700, Ken Hiebert via Marxism wrote:

> In my opinion, BDS has been the occasion for a real step forward in
>Palestine solidarity work.

(unquestionably!)

>  I do not regard human rights as "bourgeois rights."

I am sure almost everyone on this list recognizes the validity of "human
rights" according to any reasonable definition of that term. I know that
some intellectuals or contrarians might find it enjoyable to split hairs
over the matter, but in practice any leftist will be in favor of struggles
advancing the rights of the oppressed (the oppressors don't need "rights,"
they hold power regardless). Just because some rights were first championed
during the bourgeois revolution (aka "democratic revolution) doesn't mean
that we can't claim them for ourselves and struggle on that basis as we do
routinely whether using that language or not.

Of course there is one category of bourgeois rights that we certainly don't
support: property rights. But that is not what is normally understood by
"human rights" and in fact our message typically counterposes human rights
to property rights should there be any doubt. Likewise, the curious
American legal definition of corporations as "persons" defies any
reasonable understanding of who are the proper beneficiaries of the rights
in question. Nor does the fact that human rights extend to humans of all
classes reduce their validity. Whenever our struggles (such as for
Palestine) can be framed in terms of basic rights, then as a matter of
course our explanations include such wording. This isn't controversial and
I'd worry about any efforts to the contrary.

- Jeff