#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Consumer Reports recently issued a warning on ground beef:

Putting beef to the test

Given those concerns about the safety of ground beef, *Consumer
Reports *decided
to test for the prevalence and types of bacteria in ground beef. We
purchased 300 packages—a total of 458 pounds (the equivalent of 1,832
quarter-pounders)—from 103 grocery, big-box, and natural food stores in 26
cities across the country. We bought all types of ground beef:
conventional—the most common type of beef sold, in which cattle are
typically fattened up with grain and soy in feedlots and fed antibiotics
and other drugs to promote growth and prevent disease—as well as beef that
was raised in more sustainable ways, which have important implications for
food safety and animal welfare. At a minimum, sustainably produced beef was
raised without antibiotics. Even better are organic and grass-fed methods.
Organic cattle are not given antibiotics or other drugs, and they are fed
organic feed. Grass-fed cattle usually don’t get antibiotics, and they
spend their lives on pasture, not feedlots.

We analyzed the samples for five common types of bacteria found on
beef—clostridium perfringens, E. coli (including O157 and six other
toxin-producing strains), enterococcus, salmonella, and staphylococcus
aureus.

The results were sobering. All 458 pounds of beef we examined contained
bacteria that signified fecal contamination (enterococcus and/or
nontoxin-producing E. coli), which can cause blood or urinary tract
infections. Almost 20 percent contained C. perfringens, a bacteria that
causes almost 1 million cases of food poisoning annually. Ten percent of
the samples had a strain of S. aureus bacteria that can produce a toxin
that can make you sick. That toxin can’t be destroyed—even with proper
cooking.

Just 1 percent of our samples contained salmonella. That may not sound
worrisome, but, says Rangan, “extrapolate that to the billions of pounds of
ground beef we eat every year, and that’s a lot of burgers with the
potential to make you sick.” Indeed, salmonella causes an estimated 1.2
million illnesses and 450 deaths in the U.S. each year.
One of the most significant findings of our research is that beef from
conventionally raised cows was more likely to have bacteria overall, as
well as bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics, than beef from
sustainably raised cows. We found a type of antibiotic-resistant S. aureus
bacteria called MRSA (methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus), which
kills about 11,000 people in the U.S. every year, on three conventional
samples (and none on sustainable samples). And 18 percent of conventional
beef samples were contaminated with superbugs—the dangerous bacteria that
are resistant to three or more classes of antibiotics—compared with just 9
percent of beef from samples that were sustainably produced. “We know that
sustainable methods are better for the environment and more humane to
animals. But our tests also show that these methods can produce ground beef
that poses fewer public health risks,” Rangan says.

http://consumerist.com/2015/08/24/how-safe-is-your-ground-beef/

http://www.pcrm.org/health/reports/the-five-worst-contaminants-in-chicken-products

Feces

*Poultry Slaughter Procedures*, a USDA training video recently obtained by
the Physicians Committee through the Freedom of Information Act, reveals
that the chicken slaughtering process ends with carcasses soaking in cold
water—“fecal soup”—for up to one hour before being packaged for consumers.2

Large chicken processing plants, such as Tyson and Perdue, can slaughter as
many as 30,000 chickens an hour.2 During processing, chicken carcasses are
mechanically disemboweled and later soaked in a chill tank before being
packaged and sent to distributors.

A federal inspector said, “We often see birds going down the line with
intestines still attached, which are full of fecal contamination. If there
is no fecal contamination on the bird’s skin, however, we can do nothing to
stop that bird from going down that line. It is more than reasonable to
assume that once the bird gets into the chill tank, that contamination will
enter the water and contaminate all of the other carcasses in the chiller.
That’s why it is sometimes called ‘fecal soup.’”

In 2012, the Physicians Committee tested chicken products sold by 15
grocery store chains in 10 U.S. cities for the presence of fecal bacteria.
48 percent of chicken samples tested positive.4

Applying high cooking heat to poultry products does not remove the feces,
it merely cooks it along with the muscle tissue.
In March 2013, the Physicians Committee submitted a legal petition
requesting that USDA declare and regulate feces as an adulterant, require
that poultry product labels uniformly disclose the presence of feces, and
remove the word “wholesome” from the official inspection legend for poultry
products.