#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

A. R. G. said (in part):
Still, the fact that these rightist groups might one day become the Gestapo
does not mean we should ignore the ever-present threat of police abuse. Any
legitimacy they are able to garner by shooting anyone will ultimately be
used to legitimate shooting at leftists, marginalized people, and so forth.
We should always be vigilant.

Ken Hiebert replies:
Was there police abuse in this case?  If there was, then we should say so
loudly and unequivocally.

A.R. G. is quite right when he says that the state will use an incident such as
this to bolster their legitimacy.  It is also an opportunity for them to
demonstrate their armed might.  We should say this.
Beyond that, how should this understanding affect our response in this case?