#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I have been puzzling why my postings about the environmental crisis get
so litte response at the marxism list (also pen-l or the critical
realism list).  I get occasional positive off-list emails, but little
response or discussion on the lists themselves.

Perhaps this is due to the climate change denial by the activists and
scientists reading these list.  Climate denial is a pervasive cultural
fact and activists or scientists are not exempt from it.  If you are not
yourself alarmed about the speed at which the climate is changing, and
furious about the irresponsibility of those in power only to undertake
symbolic baby steps where radical measure are necessary, then you
probably also underestimate the likelihood that at some point many
others wake up to the dangerous situation and urgently want to do
whatever is necessary to prevent their lives from sliding into a chaotic
and precarious struggle for survival.

Another reason is perhaps that the kind of revolutionary action which I
think is possible and necessary is not the action of a vanguard but the
broad mass action of almost everybody.  There are several social issues
where almost everybody is on the same side.  For instance nobody today
will openly promote slavery.  If almost everybody is conscious of and
alarmed about the climate crisis (which will undoubtedly happen when the
climate crisis really hits, but then it will be too late to do something
about it), then actions which are reformist if carried by a minority,
will be revolutionary and will indeed be able to change social
structures.

You probably have your own reasons why you don't respond.  It would be
useful for me to hear them.

Hans G Ehrbar