#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

The Most Important Thing: Two speaking tours and the Syrian
Revolution:
https://thehamiltoninstitute.noblogs.org/post/2016/05/13/the-most-important-thing-two-speaking-tours-and-the-syrian-revolution/

My friend was an active participant in the first few years of the
Syrian revolution, and we had just spent the evening at Leila al-Shami
and Robin Yassin-Kassab’s speaking tour for their book Burning
Country: Stories of Syrians in Revolution and War. These two authors,
based in the UK, spoke passionately about the various revolutionary
projects that unfolded in Syria between 2011 and 2013 and that
continue struggling to survive today, under the bombs and indifference
of the world. A few days earlier, we’d also attended a talk by Paul Z
Simons describing his experiences travelling to Rojava, the
majority-Kurdish areas in what used to be northern Syria. Paul
compared his motivations for travelling to Rojava to those of
anarchists around the world who travelled to Spain in the 30s –
describing Rojava1 as the most significant anarchist revolution since
that time, he has been travelling North America trying to inspire
direct support among western radicals.

These two tours both offered anarchist perspectives on Syria and yet
their narratives were surprisingly different – on our walk to the bus
station, we dug into those differences and tried to understand them.
In spite of their scale and commitment, the anarchic practices carried
out by the Syrian revolution (not in Rojava) have been largely ignored
by anarchists in the west, while Rojava has been widely, and often
uncritically, celebrated. In light of rapidly changing events on the
ground, as grassroots groups risk being decisively overshadowed by the
maneuvers of states, it’s important to look more carefully at Rojava
and the Syrian revolution to see where our solidarity should lie. This
will help us support revolutionaries there in the years to come and
also make sure that, in the present, anarchist support isn’t fuelling
forces that divide and undermine revolutionary energy.

My friend’s comments about destroying the state remind me of the
well-known quote by Syrian anarchist Omar Aziz that we heard again at
the event: “We are no less than Paris Commune workers: they resisted
for 70 days and we are still going on for a year and a half.” While
the Paris Commune was able to destroy the state in a major city, it
quickly became isolated and the state was able to march back and
defeat the revolutionaries militarily. By the time of Omar’s death in
prison in 2013, the Syrian state had been destroyed in dozens of
cities and towns — it was continuing to contract and was obviously not
going to be able to retake major centres of the rebellion any time
soon.

At the Burning Country event, Leila briefly told the story of the last
years of Omar’s life, focusing on his work elaborating a revolutionary
practice of local councils and committees that began in Barzeh,
Damascus, and spread throughout the country. Hundreds of these
councils are still active today, following many of the anarchist
principles developed by Omar in spite of the ever more difficult
conditions. Alternatives to state structures, these autonomous forms
of self governance transitioned from organizing protests to organizing
collective self-defense to distributing food, providing electricity,
and dealing with conflict. A comrad of Omar’s who was present in the
audience reminded us that Omar had been living abroad and returned to
Syria to support the revolution and questioned why more people who
escaped Assadist tyranny haven’t also supported the revolution. She
also spoke about her friend Razan Zeitouneh, a human rights lawyer and
prisoner support activist who dedicated herself to forming and
federating local committees that could co-ordinate protests and mutual
aid, who was arrested and likely killed in the Damascus area by rebel
group Jaish al-Islam.

One reason for the lack of international support for the Syrian
revolution might be that it has largely been made invisible. The
stories of Razan and Omar underline an important reason for this
invisibility – many of the anarchists and most passionate activists
were killed (usually by the regime )early on or were forced to flee
the country. Rojava, on the other hand, had a different experience of
the regime’s violence, which contributed to increased visibility.

In his talk, Paul shared many personal stories of his travels through
the liberated territories of Rojava, mostly in the Kobane area. These
stories are compelling and inspiring, they demonstrate a clear
commitment to building international understanding between
anti-authoritarian rebels and deepening practices of solidarity.
However, when it came to the broader context of struggle in the Syrian
territory, he seemed not to understand that there could possibly be
revolutionaries outside of Rojava. I don’t raise this to criticise him
personally – I think his work in building international solidarity
with Rojava is very valuable. However, he is far from alone in this
attitude and I want to understand how someone so evidently committed
to engaging with revolutionary currents in Syria could ignore the
struggles being waged in the rest of the country.

When several people in the audience questionned the recent attacks by
the SDF2 against territory controlled by other rebel groups north of
Aleppo, Paul largely repeated the propaganda of the SDF, the Assad
regime, and the Russian military (all of whom collaborated in these
attacks): everyone there is al-Qaeda or ISIS, there is no one worth
listening to. Paul insisted that these attacks were necessary to link
the Efrin Canton to Kobane Canton (two provinces of Rojava) and
assumed that only Assad supporters would have a problem with this.

Those following the (admittedly complex and confusing) politics of the
Syrian civil war mostly agree that the space between the two Rojavan
cantons is controlled in one area by ISIS and in another by a
coalition of rebel groups, prominently including many branches of the
Free Syrian Army that still support the liberatory goals of the
revolution. They have held on here even while being defeated by
counter-revolutionary attacks (by ISIS, Jabhat al-Nusra, and the Assad
regime) elsewhere in the country because of the proximity to the
Turkish border and their control of important crossing points.
Although the SDF and the YPG3 claim they are only fighting al-Qaeda
there, this is a transparent lie.4

Robin and Leila, while voicing a lot of support for Rojava and
describing its democratic confederalism as a model for the rest of the
Syrian terrirory, consider the goal of militarily linking the cantons
to be disastrous. They said that the PYD’s recent declaration of
‘federalism’ for Rojava seems like laying the groundwork for a state,
which would of course need contiguous territory, and that it runs
counter to democratic confederalism. A model of councils would spread
by encouraging and supporting the formation of councils other regions,
not by conquering those regions. This is especially true north of
Aleppo around Azaz, where local revolutionary councils have been
active for years. Leila and Robin described the PYD’s recent
declaration of ‘federalism’ in northern Syria to be essentially a coup
against the grassroots revolutionaries in Rojava, who were never
consulted.

Full (lots more fascinating reading):