#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Hi,
I'm teaching a bunch of 16-18 year old history students and we're looking
at the causes and consequences of the American Civil War.

We have started looking at the nature of the Southern States pre-war and
the nature of US chattel slavery. They need to understand issues like the
idea that if the Union had not pressured the South (over things like
Lincoln's plan to not expand slavery into new states), slavery might have
died out anyway. At this stage I have suggested to them that chattel
slavery was more robust and flexible than pre-modern slavery (eg slave
owners could hire out their slaves to the railway building companies etc)
and that therefor the institution could conceivably have survived a lot
longer. I pointed out to them that slave owners could choose to make more
"conventional" investment choices but chose to reinvest in slaves and
cotton lands as a means of achieving a return - that "unfree" slave labour
is different from "unfree" peasant labour in that it can be sold to another
slaver where a peasant is bound to the land. I've suggested that in many
ways US slavery was a distorted version of capitalism rather than a whole
different pre-modern economic system.

However I feel a bit out of my depth here and have been improvising a bit.
I wonder if anyone could point me to some accessible online resources on
this question (and the Civil War issue itself) that I could use.

Obviously when we come to the consequences, I'll be looking at
reconstruction, the enduring legacy (Jim Crow etc), ongoing loyalty to the
Southern flag with all that that suggests, popular culture (music etc). I
know there are lots of US people on this list and y'all know about this
stuff . . .

Thanks in anticipation,
John