#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Thanks, Patrick. It is in fact very useful and relevant.
In recent weeks various liberals have been lying about single-payer,
claiming it wouldn't save money for patients. The rebuttals by PNHP and
others have focused on two main points recently: the waste in
administrative costs under the current multi-payer, for-profit setup -- and
savings from forcing down drug prices. See pnhp.org, whose
recently-released plan includes this:

"The NHP would cover all medically necessary prescription medications,
devices and supplies. It would directly negotiate prices with
manufacturers, producing substantial savings. An expert panel would
establish and update a national formulary, which would specify the use of
the lowest cost medications among therapeutically equivalent drugs (with
exceptions where clinically required).

Full drug coverage is an essential component of an NHP. Copayments reduce
adherence to medications and worsen clinical outcomes. The NHP would, like
other large purchasers, use its market clout and formularies to negotiate
lower drug prices with manufacturers. For instance, the Veterans
Administration pays only 56-63% as much as Medicare does for drugs,24
because Medicare is prohibited from negotiating for lower prices."

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Patrick Bond via Marxism <