#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Louis Proyect wrote:

> If you want to hear the government' defense of its policies, the go-to
> guy is Thomas Mountain who lives in Eritrea and pumps out a steady stream
> of articles with titles like oeThe Cuba of Africa (
> http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/05/21/the-cuba-of-africa/ ) .

Yes, Thomas Mountain has been at it a long time. Back in 2001, he was upset
with the "Communist Voice" because while defending the Eritrean right to
self-determination, we denounced the politics of EPLF and sought to encourage
the development of an independent working class trend in Eritrea. A number of
letters were exchanged. Below are some excerpts from CVO comrade Frank
Arango's summary of this correspondence:

"Can one support proletarian independence [in Eritrea} while upholding the
right to self-determination?

"Vol. 6, #3 and Vol. 7 #1 of Communist Voice carried a two-part article on
the 1999-2000 Ethiopian-Eritrean war. This was one of the more bitter
conflicts of recent times, and although an OAU/UN-brokered peace agreement is
now in place, a lasting peace is still not assured. The Eritrean people won
their right to decide whether or not to separate from their former Ethiopian
colonial masters in 1991. In 1993 they overwhelmingly voted to do so. But the
1999-2000 conflict was driven by the Ethiopian government's thirst to reverse
the right of the Eritrean people to remain free. And it killed many scores of
thousands of people during the war, laid waste to major areas of Eritrea
during its May-June 2000 offensive, etc. , in order to achieve this purely
chauvinist aim.

"Part I of the article dwelt on the fact that the right of nations to
self-determination (or, in Eritrea's case, to decide for themselves whether
of not to remain independent) remains an important issue on the Horn of
Africa and in today's world. It pointed out that the present governments of
Eritrea and Ethiopia stem from liberation fronts, and discussed what can be
expected from such organizations if they gain power when led by
petty-bourgeois and/or bourgeois forces. And it stressed that the working
class should struggle to lead democratic movements itself. Part II dealt with
some of the questions surrounding the outbreak of the war, the culpability of
the U. S. and other major imperialist powers in it, etc. It also developed as
a main theme the crucial issue of the Ethiopian and Eritrean workers needing
to develop politics and organization independent of the bourgeoisie, and of
the traditional nationalist illusions in Eritrea. This last theme has gotten
one of our readers upset.

"As author of 'The right to self-determination and the Ethiopian-Eritrean
war' I received several comments from readers. Among them was a note from
Thomas Mountain, a member of the U. S. -Eritrean Friendship Association.
Mountain's views conform to one of the negative tendencies in today's left:
to subordinate the working masses to the rule of the local bourgeoisie in the
name of opposing U. S. interference, bullying and denial of the rights of
nations to self-determination. But since he says he's 'ready for revolution'
this causes some tension in what is in reality a common reformist or even
liberal position.

"More letters between Mountain and CVO members showed he's a wild defender of
Eritrea's ruling party (the EPLF/PFDJ). He tries to explain the U. S.
appeasement of the Ethiopian aggressors simply on the basis of the Eritrean
government being a black role model which the white-supremacist CIA wanted to
wipe out. To do this he has to ignore a wealth of facts showing that the
dominant imperialist powers--the U. S. , World Bank, etc. --had formed an
alliance with the Eritrean regime in the 90s. He also makes preposterous
claims regarding this government, and not just to us. At Dehai. com he says
to the world that Eritrea (which he calls 'the light of Africa') 'has chosen
self-reliance over dependency" and "has said no to the World Bank and the
IMF'. And to me he makes such claims as that 'Eritrean society is the most
democratic society. . . in the world, if not in all history'!

"But I had had the audacity to point out in my article and in my letters to
him that this [the Eritrean regime--JG] was a capitalist regime 'tied to
imperialism by a thousand threads'. I commented on some of the ways it
restricted democracy for the masses. And I argued that the Eritrean working
class had to reject the politics of the EPLF/PFDJ and build a class movement
independent of the bourgeoisie and the traditional nationalist illusions.
Mountain's response was to accuse me of slandering the great and good
EPLF/PFDJ, and to say that I must have white-supremacist blinders on because
I don't agree with his assessment of the motivations of the U. S. vis-a-vis
the Eritrean government. Eventually he stopped writing.

"Thomas Mountain signed some of his letters to us with the phrase 'ready for
revolution'. Yet his standpoint is to support one of the exploitative and
oppressive regimes of the present imperialist world order."

http://www.communistvoice.org/27cEritrea.html