#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

(Posted to FB by Tony McKenna. The colleague he refers to is me.)

Recently I was asked by Monthly Review Magazine do to a review of Fredric Jameson’s new book on Raymond Chandler. I had not really read Jameson before, so was looking forward to it – only it turned out that he was one of these fashionable "superstar academics" who uses ridiculously opaque jargon but offers very little by way of genuine meaning. Naturally I wrote a negative review, which the magazine then spiked – the review was fine, they said, but it wasn't their policy to publish reviews of books they wouldn’t recommend their readership to buy.

Frustrating.

Wasn’t a total loss though. As part of my research, a colleague recommended a book by Ernest Mandel on the detective genre which I had never heard of before (‘Delightful Murder’). It provides a thoughtful and clear historical account of the genre. And I was struck by the difference with the Jameson book, and just how much kudos and props figures like Jameson get. Here are two paragraphs: one from Jameson, one from Mandel. I wonder how many people can guess which is which:

“when the Depression came, it gave fresh and frightening impetus to crime of all sorts…The coming age of organized crime tolled the death knell of the drawing-room detective story…an abrupt break with the gentility of the classical detective story, especially with crime based on individual psychological motives like greed and revenge.”

“hermeneutic activity (whether that of the textual interpreter or that of Marlowe and other detectives) 1) as a ritual, as an activity whose connotative meaning confirms and secures an ideology which greatly transcends its immediate denotative intent (the immediate solution to the enigma or problem); and 2) as a spatial form, that is, an activity whose fundamental material organization is to be found in space (rather than in cognitive categories”.