#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

From: PAUL LARUDEE <laru...@pacbell.net>
Date: 11 October 2016 at 17:35
Subject: This petition on Syria will launch on Friday. Shall we add your name?
To: Paul Larudee <laru...@pacbell.net>

Please forgive the anonymity of the addressees.  There are only around fifteen,
but I want to respect your privacy.

The petition below will launch on Friday, October 14.  It has been drafted and
approved by the United National Antiwar Coalition, U.S. Peace Council, Veterans
For Peace, UNAC, the Syria Solidarity Movement and others (Including you, if
you accept), whose names (either as individuals or institutions or both) will
appear on the initial petition.  The petition will then be open for anyone to
sign, but we wish to have a starting list to inspire others to join.

Please let me know if you wish to be part of the initial petition, and if you
have other suggestions, please forward and let me know.

Thanks and in solidarity,

Paul Larudee
510 232 2500

Points of Unity
We the undersigned organizations and individuals endorse the following Points
of Unity and, on the basis of these points, agree to work together in the
National Hands Off Syria Coalition to help put an end to the illegal
intervention by the United States, NATO and their regional allies and the
killing of innocent people in Syria.
1.     In essence, the war in Syria is the result of a U.S.-orchestrated
intervention by the United States, NATO, their regional allies and reactionary
forces, the goal of which is an illegal regime change in Syria.
2.     War and U.S. and EU sanctions have destabilized every sector of Syria’s
economy, transforming a once self-sufficient country into an aid-dependent
nation. Half the Syrian population is now displaced. A UN ESCWA report reveals
these U.S. sanctions on Syria are crippling aid work during one of the largest
humanitarian emergency since World War II. The one third of Syrians refugees in
surrounding Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey have been hit hard by U.S. cuts to
UNICEF. This forces desperate refugees to struggle to reach Europe.
3.     This policy of regime change in Syria is in clear violation of the
United Nations Charter, the letter and spirit of international law and the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
4.     This policy of forced regime change is threatening the security of the
region and the world and has increased the danger of direct confrontation
between the United States and Russia, with the potential of a nuclear
catastrophe for the whole world.
5.     No foreign entity, be it a foreign government or an armed group, has the
right to violate the fundamental rights of the Syrian people to independence,
national sovereignty and self-determination. This includes the right of the
Syrian government to request and accept military assistance from other
countries, as even the U.S. government has admitted. *
6.     Only the people of Syria have the inalienable right to choose their
leaders and determine the character of their government, free from foreign
intervention. This right cannot be properly exercised under the conditions of
U.S.-orchestrated foreign intervention and terrorism against the Syrian people.
7.     Our opposition to forced regime change in Syria by U.S.-backed foreign
powers and their mercenaries does not imply support for the present Syrian
government or President Assad. It is not our business to support or oppose
President Assad or the Syrian government. Only the Syrian people have the right
to decide the legitimacy of their government.
8.     The most urgent issue at present is putting an end to the illegal
foreign intervention and terrorism that has resulted in the deaths of hundreds
of thousands of people and the displacement of millions of Syrians both
internally or as refugees abroad.
Based on these Points of Unity, we, as individual and organizational members of
the National Hands Off Syria Coalition, agree on the following demands and
commit ourselves to working together to help achieve them:
1.     An immediate end to all illegal foreign military operations in Syria.
2.     An immediate end to the illegal U.S. policy of forced regime change in
Syria and full recognition and compliance by the U.S., NATO and their allies
with principles of international law and the U.N. Charter, including respect
for the independence and territorial integrity of Syria.
3.     The immediate removal of all invading foreign forces from the
internationally recognized territory of Syria.
4.     An immediate end to all military, financial, logistical and intelligence
support by the U.S., NATO and their regional allies to all foreign mercenaries
and extremists in the Middle East region.
5.    An immediate end to economic sanctions against Syria.
Only in a peaceful and independent Syria, free of foreign aggression, can the
people of Syria freely exercise their sovereign rights, express their free will
and make free choices about their government and their country’s leadership.
We invite all supporters of peace and peoples’ right to self-determination
around the world to join hands of cooperation in this coalition to achieve
these most humanitarian demands.
We need jobs, healthcare, education and an end to racist police violence here
at home, not U.S. wars abroad!!