#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

“With freedom, books, flowers and the moon, who could not be happy?” – Oscar Wilde

That’s what I kept telling myself during the long nights of power cuts in my city. Gazing at the stars was and still is the only thing that makes me feel connected to the universe. It helps me to forget the random gun shots echoing nearby. My books were my gateway from reality – my freedom. Well not really, but at least my spirit was free.

I must admit, it has not been easy living in Libya while being a person who believes in peace, art and music, and it became harder for me after the country was ravaged from war. I remember deciding that after the revolution I would avoid politics and all civil initiatives. I was happy at my newly started business, Awars Consultancy LLC., but happy days don’t last for very long. The country entered into another armed conflict; blood, destruction and oppression followed. We were watching everything crumbling to dust; all of our dreams of bright futures, social justice and prosperity. It was chaos on all levels including the civil initiatives. I felt guilty being passive; and I decided to engage more as a civil agent, to be a part of reshaping Libya, and somehow contribute to creating a better future for the next generations.