#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

" I could have found other aging radicals like me to write for North Star who
would have met with your approval but I have another agenda."
First, I, for one am glad to see Michael's post. It is one of the great aspects
of the North Star that there are activists, whom we were once very much like,
willing simply to say what they need to say and say it forcefully without
decorum.
Second, I see Michael's points as more of a call to arms rather than a call to
cuss. I believe he is dead on to call out the timidity of the liberals but ,as
is patently clear from some the "claptrap" denouncing his post here, it is not
only bourgeois liberals but "aging radicals" (sic in some cases) who seem think
that we will win the struggle for liberation from capitalism with well-chosen
verbiage and erudite logic, the "sophisticated" turn of phrase. Claptrap
indeed. What Michael, in my view, is saying is that the gloves need to come
off, both in our styles of debate, but also in the streets. What do you think?
That we're going to "challenge" the "alt-right" with well-chosen demands and
inspiring speeches? That the masses are just going to step in line once we stop
"maligning" and "organize"? Organize what? Good informational picket lines and
orderly marches? Organize whom? Nice liberals who want to "disagree but not be
disagreeable" and "workers" in union jackets behind their lo
 cal banners? Do you really believe that is what a struggle for power is
actually going to look like? More important, do you really believe that we did
"back when" is going work now? With young people on the bring of lunacy in
Black and Brown communities under jackboots of police occupations, with young
women who now believe that they are threatened with sexual abuse and harassment
without seeming impunity? With immigrant workers and their families feeling
under threat of deportation; as the most desirable outcome in the face of right
wing and police--and governmental--complicity? Or how about all us "aging
radicals" along with our generations under the threat of poverty and misery as
the social contract for the elderly and the infirm is shredded before our eyes?
Do you really believe that it will take all of us being "nice" and get along
with each other to show that we are the "better people"?

I for one am with Michael and his generation. We Need To Fight and We Need To
Fight Dirty and Mean and By Any Means Necessary.

But, please, by all means, continue with lovely turns of phrases and "strong
economic analyses" demonstrating (sic) how much better educated you are than
the monsters baring their teeth in front of us.
Perhaps you will create enough of a distraction so that the actual organized
masses, led by the Michaels and Brandys, the Black Lives youth and the Dream
Defenders can come behind or flank them. With swords drawn.

The "siempre" in La Victoria is about Amandla, not "speaking truth to power"