#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2016/12/washington-post-refuses-to-retract-article-defaming-naked-capitalism-and-other-sites.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NakedCapitalism+%28naked+capitalism%29

My message sent to wapo:

I am old enough to remember seeing in the news reel at my local theater Joseph McCarthy holding up to the cameras a piece of paper and intoning in his inimitable droning voice, "I have here in my hand a list of 205 known members of the Communist Party who were “working and shaping policy” in the State Department.

People's livelihoods and reputations were thereby smeared for life. Never did McCarthy back his claims with evidence, nor did he retract his scurrilous accusation. Now, tell me how what Jeff Bezos and co. are doing in this instance is in any significant way different from what McCarthy did to these people back in 1956. What finally put it squarely before the American public in its proper dimensions and earned McCarthy Congressional censure was when Boston attorney Joseph Welch asked McCarthy, “Have you no sense of decency, sir?”

Ralph Johansen
Someone added at Naked Capitalism:

But then I sigh; and, with a piece of scripture,
Tell them that God bids us do good for evil:
And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends stolen out of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

[Shakespeare, King Richard III, Act 1]

---