#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On 2017-02-23 18:03, DW via Marxism wrote:

No, they are responsible in no small part of prolonging the problems. Read the article AND the discussion since Greenpeace is the first commentator...

Well I didn't get to reading the discussion, but a few things are clear. The article is correct in saying that the radiation levels near Fukushima that Greenpeace decries as unsafe are actually lower than the background radiation levels in many places in the world. Therefore, and I agree with this, there is no greater "emergency" in Japan than there is in many other places where the people never worry at all about ionizing radiation as an environmental danger.

However that doesn't answer what a safe level actually is. The level cited is 2.5 millisieverts per year. One Sievert is what we used to call 100 rem (a more manageable unit IMO) and I would certainly not call 2.5 msv/year a "negligible" level. For comparison, the annual occupational exposure in the US is 5 rem or 50 msv, 20 times greater than that. Most people working with isotopes in research and medicine or in radiology (I don't know about the nuclear industry) get an annual dose much smaller than that at work over a year (if more, then they have to stop work). Again for comparison, it was always considered (and this couldn't be too far off) that a dose of 450 rem = 4500 msv would be fatal to half the people receiving it. In any case, the levels we are discussing are much less, but not much much less than what would be unquestionably dangerous.

The author of this piece is rather sloppy in not once considering what is actually dangerous. He casually writes: "but radon exposures can vary widely, from almost zero to as high as 340 (yes, three hundred and fourty) millisieverts per year." That last high figure he cites represents a huge danger and a house that no one should live in! In fact radon leakage from the ground into houses is the greatest ionizing radiation danger faced in many areas, especially among radiation dangers that are (in principle) preventable and is taken very seriously. Ironically, improvements in sealing houses for energy efficiency have meant much less air circulation from the outside and a greater accumulation of radon indoors. The fact that millions of people live with such a radon level in their houses is absolutely no reason for anyone else to tolerate those dangerous levels if they can help it.

Really the main unknown involved in discussing all these figures, is what the effect of "low level" radiation is. In other words, we know 4500 msv would kill 500 out of 1000 people, but how many would be killed by 45 msv? Given a linear model one might conclude there would therefore be 5 killed out of 1000. I don't think it's that high. But it isn't known really whether further decreases in ionizing radiation levels leads to proportionally decreased health effects (linear model), to even LESS than that (if the danger only picks up at a particular threshold), or much MORE than that (that a very small dose is already dangerous but the body responds to limit the increase in danger when it encounters greater levels).

It isn't easy to determine that because we're now talking about increases in cancer rates which are much smaller than the baseline cancer rates. So it is debated among the experts (which I am not) and inconclusive. When in doubt it is wise to take the cautious approach and assume that low radiation levels are more dangerous than can be easily observed. But no, not everyone in Finland should relocate for that reason alone. I don't think the word "emergency" used by Greenpeace is warranted for the 2.5 msv/year level. But that doesn't mean that we know enough to call it "safe" either.

So I don't accept either this article or Greenpeace's judgement outright. It appears that in each case the arguments were determined by the desired conclusions of their proponents. That is the opposite of science.

- Jeff

David Walters

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 9:01 AM, Dennis Brasky <dmozart1...@gmail.com>