#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/canada-chechnya-gay-asylum/article36145997/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&;

<https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/canada-chechnya-gay-asylum/article36145997/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&;>
Hamzat, a man in his mid-twenties, is a recent arrival to Canada. (Hamzat is
not his real name. The Globe and Mail is protecting his identity because he
fears repercussions for friends and family in Chechnya, and because he is
concerned that some Chechen-Canadians might wish him ill.) In an interview with
The Globe, he was cautious but calm, offering a brief smile from time to time.
He described how his ordeals began: One day in March, men wearing green khaki
uniforms appeared in his place of work in Grozny, the capital of Chechnya. He
was handcuffed, placed in the trunk of a car, and taken to a local police
headquarters. "I don't know how to express this. I was in shock," he said,
speaking through an interpreter.

* * * *

I am watching newcoldwar.com and other sites to see if anyone denies the
accuracy of this story.
Roger Annis did make a valid point, warning against instrumentalising this
situation in support of Canadian military and political initiatives in that
part of the world.

   ken h