#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Mark wrote:

'Meanwhile, they were putting up statues to the idols of the master class
that tried to destroy a nation when they couldn't rule it anywhere.

It puts a whole new light on what "Reconstruction" meant and never meant.'

Well said, Mark. Here in Oz, there is a campaign against the statues and
monuments of some of the worst of the colonists.  There is a special focus
on the statue of Captain Cook and the claim that he "discovered"
Australia.  That is as claim which is deeply offensive to the First Nations
people who have been here for around 60k years.

There are other statues that are controversial as well.  My good friend the
Indigenous activist and scholar Professor Gracelyn Smallwood, who is from
Townsville, has written about the role of the man the city was named after
Robert Towns  (1794-1873).  He was part of the slave trade in South Sea
Islanders, where Islanders were kidnapped to work in the Queensland sugar
cane fields.

There are other villains of course, who have been honored similarly.

comradely

Gary

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Mark Lause via Marxism <