#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Tsk, tsk. I expected a bit more from Ian on this rebuttal to Parenti. I
have this issue of Jacobin and though I always enjoy many of it's articles
(and dislike as many) I have not read the Parenti piece. Largely because I
don't find him, generally, particularly insightful on anything. Parenti,
like Trotsky, and like Louis or most of us are not really *qualified* to
comment knowingly in this regard. We are all quite outside the expertise
needed. So we rely on others.

Trotsky may of been wrong on atomic energy, but he certainly didn't have
his head up his ass on this. It was, and *remains* an informed position and
that he did in fact view future advent of atomic energy that would replace,
or might replace coal or oil, is factually accurate. France did *exactly*
that in getting off of oil and coal as did the United States with oil. The
US continued to use coal however, France did not. The two carbon footprints
are noticeable for each country in the difference in their footprint sizes.
It is particularly large for the U.S. and small by European standards for
France. One can, again, argue the merits of this or that form of energy, on
can't argue that Trotsky's prognostication was very accurate. Thusly, head,
not in ass.

On some of the actual specific issues involved. I do agree with Ian Angus
that "Carbon Capture" is something of a fraud (he doesn't use that term, I
do but he implies it). It can be done. There is a large Dept. of Energy
Plant that was running in North Dakota (I think) that removed CO2 (and CO)
from coal burning. It is the only plant in the world that I believe is
running or was successful. But Parenti's thing here is directly from the
atmosphere. It has already been demonstrated by the U.S. Navy despite what
Angus notes about the same Navy looking for better methods of doing it. The
problem is that it use (by the Navy and every proposed system) vast amounts
of the electricity produced by the nuclear reactors on the submarine. I'm
all for the R&D by anyone who can efficiently help lower CO2 in *enough*
time to make a difference! But honestly it's probably better to use the
most efficient form of solar energy for this: photosynthesis in the growing
of massive amounts of trees and restoring vast tracts of prairie land where
it won't interfere in farming. The bottom line that Angus implies is that
it's damn expensive to conceive of doing this mechanically from the
atmosphere directly.

The more interesting thing, IMO, is not Parenti but Angus' non-take on
ecomodernism. There is little substance in his charges against them (there
is, actually, but Angus fails to document this). I have of course a lot in
common with some aspects of ecomodernism, which in someways is a helluva
lot closer to the actual Marxist outlook on what is *needed* to solve the
environmental crisis than, say, the Greens or Greenpeace, Joseph Romm or
others Angus defends or quotes. All of whom are *reactionary*
de-development types to varying degrees. The ecomodernists problem,
generally, is that they look to purely technological solutions and eschew
social ones. I've debated, interestingly both ecomodernists and Greens over
their adherence (in some case for the former, not all or even a majority by
any means) to natural gas. Both green-wash this dangerous fossil fuel and
ignore the long term consequences. More another time, perhaps.

David