#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On John Grierson, by liberal columnist Robert Fulford:
http://www.robertfulford.com/JohnGrierson.html

Sent from my iPad
Interesting man no doubt.  Grierson had studied Hegel and I think he was very
influenced by the Philosophy of Right in terms of his commitment to nation
building.

But he was a social democrat with a penchant for pretending to be much more
left wing than he was.  Thus he publicly screened Battleship Potemkin along
with his own film Drifters (1929). He also claimed to have been there at the
the release from prison in 1918 of the great Scottish radical John MacLean
(1879-1923), but that is doubted.  In  the 60s he put Trotsky’s Literature and
Revolution on his reading list.  I think that was partly in an effort to
outflank the radical 60s generation.

He claimed to have put the working class up on the screen, but it was very much
the working class who were loyal and hard working, and not at all threatening
to the powers that be during the Great Depression.

Comradely

Gary

---
http://www.avg.com