#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

"It was a stinking hot afternoon down at Fords Lower Hutt assembly plant
when one of us deliberately smashed a new truck windscreen. The truck trim
line was a small non-automated section where four or five painted cab
shells got fitted out each day, their windows fixed in place by skilled use
of a big rubber hammer.

"A worker would tap around the edges of the glass, on this occasion
whacking it hard in the middle so it shattered. This meant work in the area
had to stop until a cleaner’s union guy was located, had made his dignified
way across to us and methodically swept up all the pieces. That process
took a good twenty minutes, during which we were able to enjoy a break.

"Of course we. . ."

This is a reflection on the class struggle in the 1970s and today in NZ,
but it has relevance in a lot of other places, I think. . .

full at:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2018/01/26/one-stinking-hot-afternoon-down-at-the-fords-factory-some-reflections-on-the-class-struggle-in-the-70s-and-now/