#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Here is the text of the statement by the Afrin canton Democratic Autonomous
Administration:

https://anfenglish.com/rojava/statement-from-afrin-canton-democratic-autonomous-administration-24464/

The statement indicates that Afrin relies primarily on its own defence forces:

"We confirm once again that we will resist these barbaric attacks against Afrin
and stand against Turkey's attempts to invade the Afrin region".

But the Afrin administration would also like help from the Syrian state, and
tries to shame the Assad regime into providing it:

"We expect the Syrian state to fulfill its responsibilities and protect Afrin
and its own borders from Turkey.  We remind Syria of its responsibility that it
has not fulfilled despite having made an official statement on the matter...".

It is unclear from this statement what sort of help the Afrin administration
wants.  To me, the most obvious thing would be for Syria to warn Turkey that
its aircraft entering Syrian airspace to attack Afrin will be shot down.

Given that Assad has a deal with Erdogan whereby Turkey can invade Afrin while
Assad has a free hand in Idlib, the prospects of Assad helping Afrin are not
good.  But perhaps the Afrin administration think it is worth a try.

Chris Slee