#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

> On Feb 7, 2018, at 6:58 PM, Jeff via Marxism <marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu>
> wrote:
>
> On 2018-02-07 23:10, John Reimann via Marxism wrote:
>> But that's in the past. Hedges' being in the Putin/Assad camp tells me that
>> he has absolutely nothing useful to offer.
>
> I am very sympathetic to John's reaction. But I can't quite endorse the logic
> and implications of that statement.

Also deeply, viscerally sympathetic to John’s reaction, but also agree with
Jeff.

I’ve always found Tony Cliff’s thoughts on this frustratingly helpful:

"You can stand on a picket line and next to you is a worker who makes racist
comments. You can do one of three things. You can say, “I’m not standing with
him on a picket line. I’m going home because there no one makes racist
comments.” That is sectarianism because if “the emancipation of the working
class is the act of the working class” I have to stand with him on a picket
line.

“The other possibility is simply avoiding the question. Someone makes a racist
comment and you pretend you haven’t heard and you say, “The weather is quite
nice today!” That’s opportunism.

“The third position is that you argue with this person against racism, against
the prevailing ideas of the ruling class. You argue and argue. If you convince
him, excellent. But if you don’t, still when the scab lorry comes you link arms
to stop the scabs because “the emancipation of the working class is the act of
the working class.””

https://www.marxists.org/archive/cliff/works/2000/millennium/chap02.htm
<https://www.marxists.org/archive/cliff/works/2000/millennium/chap02.htm>