#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

http://links.org.au/syria-rojava-assad-marcel-cartier

In a recent article, Marcel Cartier denounces the Turkish invasion of Afrin and
calls for solidarity with Rojava....

I fully agree with Cartier's call for solidarity with Rojava revolution, but I
disagree with some other points in the article.

Cartier rightly condemns the Assad regime for oppressing the Kurds and other
ethnic minorities   But he gives the regime undue credit in some other respects.

Cartier claims that Assad is popular with a large part of the population....

I believe this is overstating Assad's popularity.  It is true that many
Syrians, particularly religious minorities such as the Christians, support
Assad as the lesser evil compared to some of the Sunni-sectarian rebel groups.
But that does not mean that they regard him as progressive.  The lesser evil is
still evil....

Cartier also gives Assad credit for being anti-imperialist....

It is true that Assad has in some ways defied US imperialism, particularly by
supporting Hezbollah in Lebanon.  But in other ways he has at times
collaborated with US imperialism - e.g. by torturing prisoners sent to Syria by
the CIA.

>From the point of view of the US ruling class, Assad is a less than ideal
>ruler of Syria. He has long been allied with Russia and Iran....

No doubt the US would prefer to see a more consistently pro-Western government
in power in Syria.  When the rebellion started, the US talked of replacing
Assad, and supplied some aid to the rebels (though not enough for them to win).

Since then, however, talk of replacing Assad has largely disappeared....

When Cartier talks about "the machinations of imperialism towards a government
that defied its diktat", he is referring to the actions of the US and its
allies.  But in my view Russia is now an imperialist power too.

Hence when we talk of imperialist intervention in Syria we should include
Russia as one of the intervening powers.  Because of inter-imperialist rivalry,
Russia may intervene in a different way than the US.

Russia's military aid to Assad in suppressing the rebels is a form of
imperialist intervention.

Russia has also intervened diplomatically, by hosting discussions between the
Assad regime and Turkey.  This has resulted in Turkish troops entering Syrian
territory without meeting any opposition from the Syrian armed forces or the
Russian air force.  First Turkey invaded the Jarablus area in 2016.  Now they
are invading Afrin.  In both cases there appear to be trade-offs.  Turkey has
persuaded, pressured or ordered some of the rebel groups it supports to
withdraw from the battle front against Assad in order to fight against Rojava.
This has helped Assad regain control over much of the territory previously held
by the rebels.