#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

"And the first reaction of the Turkish FM also indicates that Ankara
might be happy with this deal."

From the horse's mouth: Turkish FM Çavuşoğlu: "We will have no problem
if the Assad regime plans to enter Afrin to fight YPG, but if the
regime tries to protect the terrorists, then no one can stop Turkish
forces" http://sabahdai.ly/exDwpn;
https://twitter.com/DailySabah/status/965540828436410369

That's pretty official; the Turkish regime has no problem with the
Assad regime taking control of Afrin, its only problem is YPG.
Hopefully, those ex-rebels who have gone along with this, or those who
have cautiously supported it, will see they have been duped. And if
the regime enters Afrin, it will enter the occupied Tal-Rifaat region
as well - the YPG in effect, by conquering these rebel-held areas two
years ago, paved the way for the regime to re-take them.

The article quotes Assadist Elijah Magnier , who claims this is a blow
to US policy in the long term. This couldn't be further from the
truth. In fact, it was probably part of the US-Turkish discussions
just held.

The article ends noting "Another context is that Turkey is
constructing new outposts in Idlib and this may concern the regime. A
new merger of Ahrar al-Sham and Zinki complicate things as well." This
is of no concern to the regime. On the contrary, it is precisely now
that Turkey has entered Idlib again that Assad has packed up in Idlib
and transferred massive quantities of troops, weaponry and war
vehicles south to Ghouta, preparing a new massive genocidal assault on
the 400,000 people still in liberated territory. Assad is confident
now that his back is secured. Turkey will ensure its side of the
Astana "de-escalation" process, ie, that the rebels do nothing. Well,
not quite nothing. The Ahrar-Zinki merger appears to be clearly
directed against HTS, not against the regime.

RKOB says "when looking back to the last years ... the YPG has no
problems with making deals and creating alliances with the evil
powers: Assad, US and Russia." That of course is absolutely true, and
the uncritical romanticisation of the PYD simply has no answers for
why Afrin is so isolated, except for the comforting mantra that
everyone within anti-Assad Syria is either a frothing jihadist or a
Turkish proxy.

However, in this immediate case (as opposed to longer term causes), I
don't think we can blame the PYD/YPG. Basically, they have been forced
into a pacification deal, of the type that a number of ant-Assad towns
and/or FSA brigades have been forced into in parts of the south, by
relentless Assadist carpet bombing for years. In this case, it was not
Assadist bombing, but Turkish bombing/invasion. So primary
condemnation for this needs to be of Turkey and the ex-rebels it
leads. Regardless of my criticisms of the PYD/YPG, what is clear
enough here is that the Turkish attack went ahead primarily because
the PYD *refused* to surrender Afrin to Assad, which is what Russia
had been bargaining for all along. When the PYD didn't budge, Russia
removed its garrison as a green light.

Meanwhile, in the US, the First of May Anarchist Alliance and
Interfaith Coalition on Immigration (ICOM) have called a "Solidarity
Rally with the People of Syria and Rojava! with slogans "Stop the
Bombing & Siege of Idlib, Afrîn, Ghouta! Down with Assad! US, Russia,
Turkey, Israel & Iran out of Syria! Allow Refugees In! No to Racism &
Islamophobia! (Co-Sponsored by CISPOS: Committee in Solidarity with
the People of Syria). Excellent slogans. When we compare this with the
"Defend Afrin" rallies that have been organised around the world, in
which the propaganda focuses only on Afrin in isolation from
everything else going on right around it, of a far more horrific
nature, we see a metaphor of the overall failed "go it alone or with
some imperialist power" policy of the PYD since the early days of the
uprising.