#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

> On Mar 4, 2018, at 12:29 PM, Louis Proyect via Marxism
> <marxism@lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> Two asshole Panglosses get taken down in the NY Times but not nearly as
> viciously as they deserve:
>
> Steven Pinker:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/02/books/review/steven-pinker-enlightenment-now.html
>
> <https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/02/books/review/steven-pinker-enlightenment-now.html>
“Taken down”? Here’s how the Pinker review ends:

"Steven Pinker’s book is full of vigor and vim, and it sets out to inspire a
similar energy in its readers.

"He cites one study of “negativity bias” that says a critic who pans a book “is
perceived as more competent than a critic who praises it.” I will just have to
take that risk: “Enlightenment Now” strikes me as an excellent book, lucidly
written, timely, rich in data and eloquent in its championing of a rational
humanism that is — it turns out — really  quite cool.”