#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Yes, Diamond ignores imperialism. In one particularly disgraceful example: When
“explaining” why Haiti is so poor he doesn’t mention how they had to buy their
way to freedom from the French and how the US imposed “sanctions” on the
country for decades after the Haitian revolution.

But, then, I didn’t read “Guns, Germs, and Steel” to understand class struggle
or imperialism; I read it to try to figure out why industrialization got its
major boost where it did. In this, Diamond’s explanations made sense to me. At
the very least, I think Marxists cannot fault his method. He explicitly rejects
any explanation that starts by putting “culture” first. For example, any
“explanation” that claims that it was because those cultures involved more
curiousity or some such nonsense. As he points out, even if that were true
(which it isn’t), it explains nothing because then you’d have to ask why those
cultures value curiousity. He also rejects explanations that center around
colder climates.

I do think that his explanations that center around geography, for one, make a
lot of sense. His explanations may be mistaken, but I think his method is
right.

What he has to say about social development AFTER the rise of industrialization
and capitalism is a different story.

John Reimann
Sent from my iPad