#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I receive messages from Avaaz.  Below are excerpts from the latest message.
What can you tell me about Avaaz?  Its functioning and activism remind me of
Greenpeace.
Greenpeace was effective in mobilizing around issues where there was already
broad support.  They were not good at advocating for ideas where there was not
yet a broad awareness.  And Greenpeace was opaque.  We could not see the
political discussions inside Greenpeace.

I use the past tense because Greenpeace seems to have peaked and gone into
decline.

                        ken h

We’re fiercely advocating on behalf of Ahed Tamimi and Palestinian children in
detention

Last week Fadi drove through clouds of tear gas to sit in Ahed’s living room
and plan a children’s march with her family, after 9 more children in the
village were arrested. Then he persuaded the minister of education to support
the march! We’ve also recruited 38 famous lawyers and judges to sign an open
letter to Roni Nuna, the Israeli military commander. And our donations continue
to support Ahed’s and other Palestinians’ legal defense. See a video update
from Fadi here
<https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/thousand_stories_reportback_mar_18_rb/#fadi>.

Banning bombs used on schools in Yemen

Saudi Arabia is a human rights nightmare, but after they bombed schools and
hospitals in Yemen, calls rose in Europe for an arms embargo.

When EU politicians started to waver under the pressure of powerful Saudi
lobbyists, 740,000 Avaazers weighed in
<https://secure.avaaz.org/en/no_more_saudi_arms_deal_alt_eu_loc/?pv=138>,
flooding members of parliament with messages and calls. And we won -- for the
first time, a Western parliament voted to ban arms sales to Saudi Arabia! Now
the pressure is on for governments across Europe to follow this lead.

We’ve received calls from Scotland to France to Yemen calling for action, Avaaz
played a major role to bring this message to the European Parliament.

-- Alyn Smith, Member of European Parliament

We may finally have a way to stop the horror in Yemen

Nick’s been in meetings for weeks getting ready to help launch an awesome
left-right coalition in the US against the war in Yemen! It launched a bill
last week that could lead to the first time in 50 years that Congress stopped
the President waging a war! We’re flying witnesses in, and hosting a photo
exhibit from Yemen for Senators this week. Our video
<https://www.facebook.com/Avaaz/videos/10155767509693884/> with children from
Yemen has over 6 million views! And in London, we’ve greeted the Saudi crown
prince this week with a massive die-in. Video update from Nick here
<https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/thousand_stories_reportback_mar_18_rb/#nick2>.