#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I thought I had something new to say on these questions, both because
‘British imperialism’ was a term that nowadays seemed to be used only for
the colonial period and because, as far as I could see, nothing had been
done on this topic relating to the UK since the 1980s, ie before the recent
decades in which the financial system had become such a major issue. I have
long had an interest in ‘finance’ and capitalism, since well before I ended
up, much to my surprise, in getting a job in a bank dealing room.

I have always been interested in how things work economically/socially.
Initially, as a teenager, this led me to be a left-wing Keynesian, as I
thought the capitalist economy could be more progressively managed. Later,
at university, I was attracted by Marxist analysis as it made much more
sense! I have been a Marxist ever since. My jobs have also been in
economics and business, and these have provided so-called ‘real world’
experience with which to judge and develop Marxist theory. . .

full interview with Tony Norfield:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2016/02/29/interview-with-tony-norfield-on-finance-and-the-imperialist-world-system-today/