#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

This time it is from Marxmail subscriber Vijay Prashad who is usually more reliable than Rick Sterling except when it comes to Syria unfortunately.

MROnline posted an article by Prashad that originally appeared in Newsclick (https://newsclick.in/few-options-united-states-syria). He writes:

Western media reports on the chemical attacks in Douma remain vague. The Wall Street Journal noted that it was not ‘clear who carried out the attack’, while the Associated Press said that it ‘was not possible to independently verify the reports’ that it had received.

As a Columbia University retiree, I continue to have access to Lexis-Nexis and the WSJ archives. I could find no articles containing the quoted text above.

Did Prashad make this up? It is entirely possible that there are some articles that fell through the cracks of Lexis-Nexis and the WSJ archives.

More importantly, he puts forward the same arguments as Max Blumenthal:

The two groups that have been most certain that this was a chemical attack and that it was conducted by the Syrian government are the White Helmets and the Syrian American Medical Society. Both these groups are on the record as being against the government and seeking external intervention to help overthrow the government. Both the groups are closely allied to USAID, an agency of the US government. The Syrian American Medical Society is run by a former USAID, while the White Helmets have been recipients of USAID funds. The news coverage has largely been driven by the views of these two groups.

This kind of crude conspiracy-mongering junk has never appeared in Prashad's articles before. I would add that the Palestinian journalist who was gunned down by an IDF sniper was also the beneficiary of USAID funding.

It is really sad to see MR spreading this kind of horse manure and even sadder to see a distinguished scholar so willing to pick up a shovel alongside the unnamed and undistinguished webmaster of MROnline.