#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Ken Hiebert, unfortunately, you are hopelessly out of date despite being
correct historically and etomologically. The most recent actual decimation
I'm aware of followed the unsuccessful May Uprising of 1919 in which a
barracks of Red solders was decimated by Freikorp goons. Nowadays it is
synonymous with massacre.

I also lament the loss of the real meaning of unique in the morass of
impossible qualifiers: really unique, highly unique, most unique, more
unique. But then we have all kinds of words for things that cannot be, for
instance the sentence "It is inconceivable that...", a sentence that
contradicts itself when uttered.

I am not happy with "I will try and explain this to you" as a meaningless
substitute for "I will try TO explain this to you."

You got me started!