#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Though it's been a long time since I read it, E.H. Carr's first volume of
THE HISTORY OF SOVIET RUSSIA is quite detailed on the ins and outs of the
initial stages of the Bolshevik Revolution --- (I think the Revolutionary
period is covered in 3 volumes but the first has a lot of the stuff Chomsky
is referring to --- Unclear if Chomsky's speech is before Carr started
publishing ....)

Most communist historians (especially Trotskists) argue that Stalin
perverted Lenin and Trotsky's revolution --- but there is no question that
under the pressures of the Civil WAR, the rights of ALL citizens of
revolutionary Russia were subordinated to the needs to defend the new
country --- whether that was "forced" on Lenin or the very nature of his
(authoritarian) inclinations might be hard even for experts to tease out ...

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 12:56 PM A.R. G via Marxism <