#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

When I read this story, I thought about the fact that last weekend, two
young people died in Sydney at an electronic music festival after taking
ecstasy -- or what they thought was ecstasy. Another dozen or so were
hospitalised.

The state government's response was to announce they would shut down this
festival that has run for year and is attended by thousands. They have very
exxplictely, and steadfastly, refused to consider allowing pill testing --
which is increasingkly common around the world at festivals as a harm
reduction measure, and was trialled at one festival in Canberra earlier
this year. The testing found some pills with deadly substances in them,
that were then voluntarily binned. Every other attempt in Australia to
bring in pill testing has been blocked by authorities. Instead, they put
ever more police with sniifer dogs at these festivals (very dangerous as
patrons who see cops with sniffer dogs often swallow their stash all at
once).

Pill testing itself is a partial measure that potentially reduces harm, but
actually the only way to seriously reduce risk of harm from taking a drug
like MDMA is to legalise ad regulate it.

I'm not sure of the ethics in general of giving intoxicants to creatures
who obviously can;t consent, but I'm pretty sure there would be ethical
guidlelines to ensure no octopus was unreasonably put in harms way, and it
was closely monitoried to ensure it was as safe as it could be.

So we live in a fucking world were sea creatures are given regulated, safe
doses of pure MDMA, and humans have to play Russian roulette to take the
same thing -- with frequently deadly consequences.

Stuart

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 at 11:11, Louis Proyect via Marxism <

--

www.greenleft.org.au * subscribe
<https://www.greenleft.org.au/subscribe/details> * donate