#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

… students are not consumers owed letters of recommendation in exchange for
their tuition payments, and that academics have the right to withhold
references for any number of reasons — such as time or familiarity with the
student. Controversy arises, he said, when instructors are honest about the
way their political commitments shape their academic responsibilities.

“If a union asks me not to buy a grape from a certain producer, or not to
cross a picket line, I would support that,” he said. “It’s the same thing
here. Following requests from Palestinian and Jewish activists, I find the
boycott against Israeli state institutions to be a very useful way to put
pressure where I can as an academic.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/10/09/a-second-michigan-instructor-withheld-a-recommendation-letter-from-student-headed-to-israel/?utm_term=.14371a5244e0