#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

touche, Mark (imagine the accent ague!) ---

However, the communist members of the resistance had an ally in Charles
DeGaulle --- the Democrats are awful (see my book attacking Clinton --) ---
most of us spent years yelling "Hey Hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill
today!" --- but they are not Vichy ---

WAS it a mistake to push McGovern to victory in the Democratic primaries
and then fight like hell for his election in order to end the US imperial
war in Indochina?

So lets get to the present -- A Democratic House can make sure Trump does
not privatize Medicare and/or Social Security --- [if Clinton had attempted
to do that absent the impeachment effort, we all should have opposed it
vigorously] --- and can embarass Trump's lackeys in the cabinet --- and
maybe increase consciousness --- (sorry again to resort to history -- but
it was hearings by Fulbright that helped spread the message of the anti-war
movement).

Let's focus on the main issue that divides me from Louis and Mark --- is
the threat of TRUMPISM as serious as I think it is??

IS a broad coalition that includes many Dems the way to BLUNT it (if not
stop it altogether)?

MARK:

:In the end, though, Mike's presented no real evidence for this fanciful
interpretation of WWII (which really fleshed out the American empire),

MIKE:    Don'[t get your point.  All I said was that Stalin accepted an
alliance of convenience with Roosevelt and Churchill --- that did not
change the fact that Roosevelt and Churchill were imperialists and
capitalists -- it just meant that Hitler was a bigger threat --- that was
not an interpretation of WW II -- it was just a statement of fact

MARK:

. . Because the Democrats have changed very fundamentally . . .according to
the Democratic movers and shakers themselves.  This is oftenseen as a
superficial shift to the right, but it reflects a series of deliberate
structural changes in the character of the party to promulgate anew
strategy.

MIKE:

BOTH POST WWII strategies were horrible -- first we had the welfare warfare
state otherwise known as "military Keynesianism" which got us Korea,
Vietnam and the Cuban Missile Crisis (Guatemala, Iran, the Bay of Pigs) ---
then beginning in 1980 we had the rise of neo-liberalism that the DEMS
surrendered to (shameless plug, that's the title of my book!) with Clinton
----

And Obama whether he was well-meaning or not failed miserably to confront
neo-liberalism and our imperial ambitions in the world -- I GET ALL THAT --

that's why the question boils down to how great a threat to us and the
planet is TRUMPISM?