#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

 Born in the same hometown as Honus Wagner, I was honored to see Roberto
throw out a runner on a routine ball to right field that usually went for a
single; if you didn't hustle down that line, he would catch you. I saw it
at old forbes field and three rivers stadium. I liked the article, but it
doesn't begin to recount how local racist sportswriters would slag him left
and right for being too flashy, for not playing hurt, for telling the truth
about his injuries (they thought his explanations were excuses). We all
loved him though and every church in Pittsburgh that morning had sermons
reaffirming that sentiment; a rare moment in those years where racism when
momentarily put aside.

--

J.A. Masko

"The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without
becoming disillusioned."

           Antonio Gramsci.