#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

A similar take on Roma, along with some other films of 2018...

The Globe and Mail

For women in film, 2018 was a year of dirty laundry
By Kate Taylor

Movies such as Roma aim to celebrate their female characters, but can’t escape
the limitations of being told from a male perspective

 Alfonso Cuaron’s black-and-white drama Roma stars Yalitza Aparicio as Cleo, a
housekeeper in 1970s Mexico, and is dedicated to Cuaron’s childhood nanny,
‘Libo.’ The film is visually exquisite and Oscar-worthy, but it fails to fully
examine Cleo – or Libo’s – life experience.

As the year draws to a close, I have been catching up with the rave reviews of
Alfonso Cuaron’s Roma, the black-andwhite drama based on the director’s
memories of Mexico City in the 1970s and dedicated to “Libo,” his childhood
nanny. Focused on the stoical Cleo, the hardworking Mixtec housekeeper and
caregiver for a family of six that is coming apart at the seams, it’s visually
exquisite, a shoo-in for the best-foreign-language Oscar, and a film sure to
reinvigorate complaints that subtitled movies are so seldom nominated for best
picture.

But as critics discussed the almost mystical imagery surrounding the
self-sacrificing Cleo (Yalitza Aparicio), who proves ready to risk her life for
her employer’s children in the film’s melodramatic climax, I found few reviews
that echoed my own reactions. I can be a literal-minded viewer and couldn’t
help noticing that nobody in this household ever walks the dog– and that in
Mexico in 1970, domestic labour was apparently so cheap that upper middle-
families had maids rather than washing machines.

There is an early scene in Roma in which Cleo climbs to the roof to scrub the
laundry by hand and we see other maids, on neighbouring rooftops, doing the
same, hanging the clothes to dry in the sun. The youngest of the family joins
the servant and, annoyed a this older brother over a gunfight game gone wrong,
plays at being dead. To coax him out of his sulks, Cleo joins him and the two
lay together on a skylight, faces to the sun. “I like being dead,” Cleo says.

Writing on that scene in a sensitive review in The New Yorker, critic Anthony
Lane commented on the nanny’s empathetic ability to enter the child’s
imagination. I had taken her devotion to her charges for granted; my main
reaction was that her remark indicated this was probably her first and only
chance that day to put her feet up. Few reviews of Roma dwell on the exhausting
domestic labour Cleo performs, giving Cuaron a pass as he idolizes his own
servant in a way that exalts her without fully examining her experience.

Cleo was but one of 2018’s magical nannies; the other was Mary Poppins in a
rather different but no less popular outing. Whether they were maids,
mistresses or monarchs, there were many powerful female protagonists on film
this year, from the deceptively self-effacing literary spouse Glenn Close
played in The Wife to Saoirse Ronan’s fiery title character in Mary Queen of
Scots. Hollywood wisdom has long held that male characters are safer bet sat
the box office because men prefer male stories while female audiences will come
along for the ride. In November, however, a study sponsored by the U.S. talent
agency Creative Artists busted that myth, finding that from 2014-17 movies of
all budget levels with a female lead actually generated more money at the box
office. In 2018, as women turned criminal in action movies such as Widows and
Ocean’s 8, there was a strong sense that female was the flavour of the year –
but, of course, both those titles were directed by men.

In September, accepting an Emmy for directing Transparent, the TV show’s
creator Jill Soloway issued a call to “Topple the patriarchy!” That slogan is
actually a movement Soloway has launched, and if you check out its website,
you’ll be surprised by its demands: that no men be allowed to make movies or TV
shows (or any other art form) for 50 years. It’s more a political provocation
than a practical suggestion. The point is that the forms, the images and the
vocabulary of what we see on our screens have been shaped by an overwhelmingly
male creative class to the point where it may be very difficult for other
creators to imagine their own ways of seeing and telling within that system.

The manifesto also oversimplifies authorship: Auteur theory to the contrary,
most movies aren’t made by a single (male) genius.

Take two recent girl-power art films as examples. The revisionist Mary Queen of
Scots is based on a script written by a man (Beau Willimon) from a book written
by a man (John Guy), but the film is directed by a woman, Josie Rourke. This
team has produced an unconvincing attempt to cast Mary Stuart as a feminist
heroine for our times, hampered by the character’s erratic decision-making and
belief in her divine right to various thrones.

Meanwhile, The Favourite, a movie about another British queen, was written by a
woman and a man (Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara) and directed by a man, Yorgos
Lanthimos. Its anachronism is conscious and witty as it examines the power
struggle between two scheming ladies-in-waiting – Rachel Weisz’s Duchess of
Marlborough and Emma Stone’s Abigail Masham – and their unhappy pawn, Queen
Anne herself, a figure of much pathos created by Olivia Colman.

What I liked about The Favourite is that all three women are bad: selfish,
manipulative and cruel – rather like men. Despite the dialogue’s contemporary
zingers and Lanthimos’s baroque staging, the characters seemed more
recognizably human than Ronan’s upright Mary alternating between the
supercilious and the sympathetic.

Real women, or perhaps more thoughtful examinations of female experience, can
be found in the furthest corners of global cinema. One overlooked gem that
showed up this year was Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts, an Indonesian
magic-realist revenge fantasy in which a woman who has been raped by a thief
travels many miles to a police station carrying his severed head in a cloth
bag. Mouly Surya directed Marsha Timothy as the frightened but unwavering
Marlina.

And, as a significant counterpoint to Cuaron’s film, consider another Mexican
film, The Good Girls. It is set only a decade later in a bourgeois
neighbourhood that looks much like the one called Roma, but here, director
Alejandra Marquez Abella only presumes to know the lady of the house. Ilse
Salas plays the pampered and snobby Sofia, watching in disbelief as the Mexican
currency crisis destroys her husband’s business and her lifestyle. Her servants
are minor figures in a quietly satirical drama: Mainly, they complain they have
not been paid. (The little-heralded film, based on Guadalupe Loaeza’s novel of
the same title, was shown briefly at the Toronto International Film Festival;
so far, no word on when it might show up again in Canada.) It’s not that anyone
really wants to prevent Cuaron from making movies for one year, let alone 50,
it’s that Surya, Abella and their ilk need to be making more movies and getting
more recognition for them.

The year 2020 will mark the 125th anniversary of cinema, an artistic progress
overwhelmingly controlled by men. At the end of Roma, the family returns from a
beach holiday and settles back into the house while Cleo climbs the exterior
stairs to the roof to start the laundry. As she reaches the top, she simply
disappears from view, as though she has ascended into the sky itself. Then,
Cuaron’s dedication to Libo appears on the screen. It’s a beautiful moment, but
in 2018, beatifying the person who washes your socks feels like a poor solution
to cinema’s long history of dirty laundry.