#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Unrelated to recent exchanges on the issue of trans rights and
self-identification, I recently came across this very worthwhile piece on
Jordan Peterson (probably the leading “organic intellectual” of
neo-possibly-not-quite-fascism-at-least-not-yet, and the alt-right). I was
struck by the structural parallel between Peterson’s treatment of the demands
and actions of trans activists, and the way Phil has failed or refused to
recognize the difference between verbal threats and no-platforming, on one
hand, and actul physical assault and murder of people identifying as women, on
the other:

"Peterson first came to international prominence when he publicly opposed
Canada’s Bill C-16, which added gender expression and identity to the list of
prohibited grounds of discrimination in the Canadian Human Rights Act. Peterson
claimed that under the bill, he could be compelled to use a student’s preferred
gender pronoun or face criminal prosecution, and suggested that social justice
activists were promoting a totalitarian ideology. In fact, there was nothing in
the bill that criminalized the failure to use people’s preferred gender
pronouns (full text), and I share the belief that government legislation
requiring people to use particular pronouns would be an infringement on civil
liberties. But since that’s a position shared by Noam Chomsky and the ACLU,
it’s not a particularly devastating criticism of the left. And when Peterson
goes beyond the very narrow issue of compelled speech, his take on social
justice isn’t much much more sensible than his lecture on Jungian archetypes in
the story of the pancake-dragon.

Examine, for example, how in his Channel 4 interview Peterson talks about the
“totalitarian” tendencies of the activists who tried to add gender identity to
the human rights bill:

PETERSON: I did compare them to Mao … I was comparing them to the left-wing
totalitarians. And I do believe they are left-wing totalitarians.

NEWMAN: Under Mao millions of people died!

PETERSON: Right!

NEWMAN: I mean there’s no comparison between Mao and a trans activist, is there?

PETERSON: Why not?

NEWMAN: Because trans activists aren’t killing millions of people!

PETERSON: The philosophy that’s guiding their utterances is the same philosophy.

NEWMAN: The consequences are …

PETERSON: Not yet!

NEWMAN: You’re saying that trans activists, …

PETERSON: No!

NEWMAN: Could leads to the deaths of millions of people.

PETERSON: No, I’m saying that the philosophy that drives their utterances is
the same philosophy that already has driven us to the deaths of millions of
people.

NEWMAN: Okay. Tell us how that philosophy is in any way comparable.

PETERSON: Sure. That’s no problem. The first thing is that their philosophy
presumes that group identity is paramount. That’s the fundamental philosophy
that drove the Soviet Union and Maoist China. And it’s the fundamental
philosophy of the left-wing activists. It’s identity politics. It doesn’t
matter who you are as an individual, it matters who you are in terms of your
group identity.

While Cathy Newman was repeatedly unfair to Peterson’s views throughout the
rest of the interview, here she was perfectly right to be confused: what
Peterson is saying makes no sense. He wonders how there could be any difference
between transgender activists and Mao’s China, then is told that the difference
is millions of deaths, then denies that transgender activists are going to
cause millions of deaths, then says they follow a totalitarian philosophy that
drives people to mass murder. The reason he’s stuck here is that there’s no
evidence the Canadian Human Rights Act is about to bring us a gulag
archipelago, but that’s what his grandiose statements about left-wing
totalitarianism imply will happen. So he must either allege Alberta is about to
get its own Great Leap Forward or draw a distinction between Mao’s Red Guards
and the University of Toronto LGBTQ center, neither of which he wants to commit
to. So we get another heaping dish of Peterson waffle."

From: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve

As I’ve said before, the threats and abuse being directed against
trans-reluctant feminists by some trans activists are appalling, and I think
their use of no-platforming in such cases is totally counter-productive (which
doesn’t mean I don’t ever support it in other instances). But the failure (or
inability) to recognize the gulf between abuse and-no-platforming, on one hand,
and physical assault and murder of people identifying as transwomen, on the
other, can only damage the left.

My sense is that Phil honestly doesn’t realize that categories like
“biologically male / female” simply can’t be treated as having normative
political meaning except as part of an oppressive project. “Nature” doesn’t
provide policeable social boundaries, and the struggle for human emancipation
is set back when the pretense that it does is on the rise (as it is with
Peterson et al).

Anyway, this issue aside, the whole piece at the link is worth reading — a
thorough and informed take-down of Peterson that also helps explain his
prominence in the current period persuasively.