#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I hope my remarks shed some light on the psychology of racism.
Some time after I was ten years old my father brought home taped music on a
reel to reel tape.  So sometime after 1955.  I must have heard that tape many
times, because those songs have stayed with me for decades.
They were cloyingly sentimental songs sung by white men about black men.  At
least that was my impression at the time.

Looking back after all this time I see two things in these songs.  One was an
inclination for southern whites to tell the world they actually viewed blacks
with kindness.
“Some of my best friends are Negros.”
I think our church was a transmission belt for this message.
And secondly, they did not want to see themselves as bad or hateful people.
They needed to convince themselves of their kindly feelings towards black
people.
Or at least some of them felt that need.

This version is by Paul Robeson and not the version I recall from decades ago.
He has altered the words.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Tvq_0tkyw

This could be the one I remember.
https://www.lpdiscography.com/?page=song&song=8071