#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-mr-xi-release-these-two-canadian-citizens/

Mr. Xi, release these two Canadian citizen

These meetings and exchanges are the foundation of serious research and
diplomacy around the world, including for Chinese scholars and diplomats.
However, Mr. Kovrig’s and Mr. Spavor’s detentions send a message that this kind
of constructive work is unwelcome and even risky in China. We who share Mr.
Kovrig’s and Mr. Spavor’s enthusiasm for building genuine, productive and
lasting relationships must now be more cautious about travelling and working in
China and engaging our Chinese counterparts. That will lead to less dialogue
and greater distrust, and undermine efforts to manage disagreements and
identify common ground. Both China and the rest of the world will be worse off
as a result.

We therefore respectfully ask you to free these two Canadian citizens.