#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

In the selection below, isn't the author conjoining several factors?

Would we not agree?:

1) the exchange controls of 2003 were mainly imposed, as I understood
it, to prevent the elites from looting the country, as they were doing;

2) but in addition, the policy sovereignty that is increased thanks to
such controls can be absolutely vital, especially in times of financial
meltdown (many countries learned this in 2008-09, even South Africa
which had dismantled big chunks of controls but retained a 75%
requirement on institutional investors' funds being located locally);

3) the oil price crashed ($148/barrel in 2008 at peak, then as low as
$26/barrel in early 2016, though now around $60/barrel);

4) an accountable (or even competent) government would have ways of
rationing access to hard currency in both good and bad times, which
requires exchange controls.

Whether you are a transitional-programme Marxist or a Keynesian Marxist,
having exchange controls is absolutely vital, we'd all surely agree?

Cheers,
Patrick