#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

I hadn't heard of this magazine so started to familiarize myself with it.
1. The 2nd article linked below has a wonderful passage describing
tech-supported strike aid - which IMO could be one facet of a revolutionary
transition to society-wide communal calculation. And they highlight and
organize around the need to expand the definition of tech worker.
2. On the other hand, the article linked immediately below is a shockingly
blithe and dangerous hosanna for Maoism.
https://communemag.com/maoism-and-the-air-we-breathe/

https://communemag.com/technology-and-worker-power/
A FEMINISM AT EASE WITH COMPUTATION

For Ari, this is not only about organizing in the tech industry. She uses
technologies to fight for housing justice, for climate justice, and against
mass incarceration. “When the Standing Rock protests against the Dakota
Access Pipeline started, with each update I wondered: ‘What the hell am I
*not *doing there?’” At the time, she was doing anti-racist organizing in
Missoula, Montana. Since she had to stay at her job, her options were
limited but not exhausted. From Missoula, Ari helped coordinate deliveries
of supplies to the water protectors. “A lot of the donated materials sent
to the occupation were useless and were being burned on arrival.” From
talking with people at Standing Rock, she learned that water protectors
needed specific pieces of equipment—for example, propane and gas lamps. “We
used Facebook to centralize the coordination. People would go to the
donation spot, begin sorting, and we would send supplies along with people
who were making trips out to the camp.” This coordination became a virtual
supply chain for necessary materials, and a new model for connecting
struggles across multiple locations. This is an example of what she calls *tech
optimism*, the repurposing of a tool like Facebook in the service of
revolutionaries.