#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

''. . . This gulf can be seen in many measures, which are expressions of a
single reality: the gap between the income of the ‘informal’
(‘unorganised’) and ‘formal’ (‘organised’) sectors; between rural areas and
urban areas; between the sectors producing commodities (agriculture,
manufacturing) and the services sector; between income-poor regions which
are rich in natural resources and other regions where income is
concentrated.

''The gulf is also within each sector, between the activities which make up
most of the employment, and the activities which have most of the income.
For instance, what is termed the ‘services sector’ encompasses both the
courier delivery man and the captains of the financial world; ‘urban areas’
include the most miserable squalor and the most obscene wealth; mining
regions are the homes of destitute tribals as well as the fiefdoms of
mining barons. Thus when we talk of any of these categories or regions we
need to be clear which sections and activities we are discussing.

''The perverse course of ‘development’ being pursued by the economy, far
from narrowing this gulf, keeps reproducing it and expanding it, by. . .'

full at
 https://rdln.wordpress.com/2018/06/24/india-one-country-two-worlds/