#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

> On Jun 27, 2019, at 1:50 PM, MM <marxmai...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I stand corrected; Sherwood incorporates it in his poem, but it has an older
> source, mentioned here:

Okay, it’s mentioned in Leontiev’s “Political Economy: A Beginner's Course”
(1935), attributed to “A. Rochester, Labour and Coal, p. 11, International
Publishers, New York, 1931.” The Rochester book doesn’t seem to be available on
line, but here’s the passage from Leontiev:

--
The following passage is taken from a book describing the life of miners in
America:

“A miner's son asked his mother: 'Why don't you light the fire? It's so cold.'

“'Because we have no coal.· Your father is out of work, and we have no money to
buy coal.’

“'But why is he oul of work, mother?’

“'Because there's loo much coal.’"

This conversation excellently portrays the glaring contradiclion which becomes
evident during every capitalist crisis. The family of the coal miner freezes
because "loo much" coal has been mined from the bowels of the earth. Millions
of people go hungry because "loo much" bread has been produced and wheal is
therefore used for locomotive fuel. The unemployed and their families are
without sheller because "loo many" honses have been built which are therefore
standing vacant.