#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Yes, Istanbul is very much a plague on both your houses situation, where,
from the point of view of a Syrian refugee, the AKP's defeat in Istanbul
must seem the worst of two bad options. Here's more on that from the Syrian
Observer:

https://syrianobserver.com/EN/news/51300/turkey-after-the-oppositions-victory-syrians-out-of-here.html

The hashtag #SuriyelilerDefoluyor (Syrians out of here) became one of the
most circulated hashtags in Turkey following the victory of opposition
candidate Ekrem Imamoglu for Istanbul mayor.

Turkish sites in Arabic said that supporters of the Turkish opposition
attacked Syrian refugees on Twitter, calling for them to be expelled a few
hours after Imamoglu’s victory, according to preliminary results. Thousands
of Turkish Twitter users used the hashtag, celebrating the victory as if it
was a victory over Syrians and the policies of the Justice and Development
Party (AKP).

The tweets by the Turkish opposition included images they claimed were of
Syrians on Turkish beaches, expressing resentment at their ability to relax
while Turkish citizens can find no time to relax. They also included videos
of instances of harassment attributed to Syrians and condemned their
presence on Turkish territory at a time when Turkish citizens were fighting
in Syria instead of them.

Turkish political analyst Mehmet Canbekli wrote on Twitter: “With the first
victory by the Republican People’s Party in Istanbul, a racist hashtag
against Syrians in Turkey was issued: #SuriyelilerDefoluyor.” He added that
this meant, “Syrians out of here. May God help our Syrian brothers and
sisters from this abhorrent racism.”

It appears that Imamoglu’s victory has motivated thousands of supporters of
his party to attack Syrian refugees, with some of them tweeting that the
next step will be to expel them, suggesting they had successfully achieved
the first step, which was “removing the AKP from Istanbul.”

Oddly, though, before Imamoglu’s current turn to racist speech as shown in
the article John sent, he was projecting an image much, much better than
the openly chauvinistic CHP Kemalist leadership:

" Refugee affairs have always been centrally controlled from Ankara by the
Migration Directorate, and the AKP during its 15-year grip on power in
Istanbul has acquiesced to that arrangement. Imamoglu, however, is
threatening to shake things up by breaking with that approach and with
CHP orthodoxy and introducing new approaches toward the city's Syrian
population, including establishing a municipal institution able to act
quickly to address local tensions and issues in districts with large
numbers of Syrians, and greater integration with the international
humanitarian response, which has focused disproportionately on Syrians
living in state-run camps, instead of the 96% of Syrians who live in
Turkey’s urban centers"

https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2019/06/turkey-syrians-vote-istanbul-election.html?fbclid=IwAR2HjCNz9pD7bRLE8asBIy7y4G_vHoqlBs_uwujpqtr1pkZFj4YkLAuFd9E

The CHP leadership has been trying to out-MHP the MHP for years on the
question of Syrian refugees, and is allied to the MHP-split group the "Good
Party", which is as racist as the party it split from:

"Before Imamoglu won the Istanbul election, CHP mayors in several Turkish
municipalities publicly used anti-Syrian rhetoric. "The mayor of the town
of Kemalpasa in western Turkey, Ridvan Karakayli, said on TV, "We will get
rid of Syrians. There is peace in Syria, so what are they doing here? There
are shops with signboards with the Syrian language [a reference to Arabic]
near our party [building]. I will remove them. They will be taken away from
here." CHP chairman Kemal Kilicardoglu alleged in 2017 that Syrians had
become "first-class citizens" and Turks "second-class", saying there would
be "an account for this".
https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/2019/6/25/racist-anti-syrian-hashtags-spread-following-turkish-oppositions-istanbul-victory

However, things are not straightforward. While the AKP has long been seen
as the party most friendly to Syrian refugees (Turkey's 3.7 million
refugees is the largest refugees population in the world), since its sharp
right turn and alliance with the MHP - formerly its sharp critic - since
2016, the AKP has increasingly played the same racist card as the CHP and
MHP:

"During the election campaign, AKP candidate Yildrim, for example, said,
"Istanbul residents should know that Syrians are not here to stay. And we
will not allow for them to engage in illegal activities while here. Zero
tolerance. We'll grab them by the ear and throw them out".

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/2019/6/25/racist-anti-syrian-hashtags-spread-following-turkish-oppositions-istanbul-victory
Further, the Syrian border has now been blocked for some time. Over 400
Syrians fleeing Assad's slaughterhouse have been killed trying to cross the
border into Turkey in recent years:

https://aljumhuriya.net/en/content/syrian-turkish-border-closed-open-door?fbclid=IwAR1DinopYXUSaMaXf26B1Rs5jmlO6eJk3sCq0Zl3KMpHsiPr3sgK-_jnz4k