#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

At NYU there was a Dept. of Cinema Studies and a Dept. of Film & Television
Production. By the mid-70s the theorizing of Screen magazine was taking
center stage, and much of that theorizing was informed by linguistic models
derived from Sassure, psychological interpretations from Lacan,
structuralism, etc, and the jargon was the "suture"," le petit object a",
the "gaze", etc., very different from substituting intellectual montage for
Hollywood montage. I remember the enthusiasm for Noel Burch's article
classifying Hollywood movies according to their formal challenges to the
dominant ideology, where violation of the Hollywood representational codes
constituted a critique. The other big article was Stephen Heath's piece on
Touch of Evil in Screen. My point is that the movies were used as examples
to prove the theoru rather than as investigative tools for understanding
the movie.

Richard Modiano